E: malformed line 3 in sourcelist

E:Malformed line 3 in source list/etc/apt/sources.list.d/steam.list (dist parse)

This occured after I attempted to install the packages for steam which were prompted . I tried sudo gedit /etc/apt/

sources.list but I don't know what to do after that HELP ME!! ( Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

How do I fix it?

Sounds like a couple of bits were moved, did you get an error when the package was downloaded? Did you download the steam package with the software center or with apt-get?

If you have a 64-bit install, you also have to install the 32-bit graphics libs for steam to work, because steam is 32-bit only. Make sure, before you try to install steam, that you have the 32-bit libs for your system in place.

After that, use apt-get to pull in steam from the official repos instead of the software center, and watch out for hash check errors or key errors.

On the other hand, I did try to install steam on ubuntu once (I don't use Ubuntu anymore), and that was not exactly a smooth experience, but everyone seems to have a different problem with steam or steam games in ubuntu.

I'm sure a forum member that uses Ubuntu will chime in and suggest some magical solution...

Yeah I used apt-get and thanks didn't know that

Ubuntu steam user here. Never had any problem at all. Please paste the output of "cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/steam.list"