E-GPU dock on xps15 2 in 1 on Linux

I plan on getting an E-GPU dock to use my 1080ti with my dell XPS15 2 in 1 on Linux.

I just have a couple of questions.

• What is the best E-GPU dock for this, I was thinking Razer core Chroma for the integrated USB hub and 100watt charging function
  • After all is said and done I’ll have 3 graphics drivers on my machine, the intel one, the AMD one, and the Nvidia one, will I run into any issues with that?
  • On Linux will I need to reboot to use the EGPU or will modprobing the nvidia driver and reloading xorg work?

Any help/experiences with EGPU on Linux would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Multiple drivers like that aren’t an issue on Linux, Windows is the only OS that seems to have those sorts of issues.

uhh, good question. I typically reboot. I’ve encountered issues with not rebooting.

The Razer core is a solid dock. I don’t have first-hand experience with it, but a friend has one and he said it gets the job done.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! Rebooting sounds like the way to go. Glad to hear multiple drivers won’t be an issue, I didn’t think they would be but I wanted to make sure before I dropped any money on this set up. Sounds like I shouldn’t have many problems.

I did have another question I just thought of though, my xps15’s monitor is 4k, but my other ones are just HD, so I’ll need to scale the displays per screen. I prefer KDE but have been trying out gnome for the better wayland support, because I heard wayland is better at scaling like that. Is there an easy way to scale X11 per monitor? KDE wayland support is… not there yet, but man am I sitting on pins and needles because what is there is fantastic so far!

I don’t have an answer to this one, all my displays are of a close enough dpi that I leave the scaling settings alone.

1 Like