Dynamic_Gravity's Home Lab

Ah, that’s not a terrible solution, I’m just a bit wary of that power-on time. :grimacing:

Yeah me too, but they only had 68 power on/off cycles.

So these things were likely thrown in a rack somewhere and just rebooted a handful of times a year.

I’m sure I could get squeeze at least two more years out of these things.

SAS drives are like fucking tanks.

Yeah, that’s a much better indication, I’d say.

Probably.

Typically, it’s power-cycle and model that are a better indicator than temp/power-on time.

1 Like

My other drives have Oracle branding :smiley:

1 Like

Alright, so the drives are at ~10% complete. So it will take about 2.5 hours (3 hours total) for the drives to complete formatting.

1 Like

We have the same eBay kit. I have yet to actually format the drives and configure. You overwrote the pre-loaded FreeNAS for Fedora?

Yes I did.

Long story short, they advertised FreeNAS 11, but mine shipped with FreeNAS 9.4. So after installing the latest version of FreeNAS I just had constant issues.

For some reason, it would never fetch updates and always fail. So whenever there was an update to the train I had to reinstall manually.

I really liked having the web gui for such a thing but it wasn’t worth it.

So I installed Fedora 30 Server and manage it now with Cockpit and the CLI. I got ZFS on there too. Works great, and since I’m a bit more familiar with it I think I’ll be able to hack around with it better.

1 Like

Damn, so that eBay vendor put out bad info and the drives are not even checked from the looks of it.

I booted mine up once (forget why, maybe a before/after noise test with my plexiglass setup) but didn’t check version, and noticed one of the drives had a blinking led… Uhhg.

Maybe? I’m not sure TBH. However, the BIOS was updated and the drives it shipped with were fine. Literally, everything else checks out.

The drives I am currently having issues with I bought a few days ago from a different seller.

1 Like

By chance did you have exec turned off on the root dataset of your pool?

Did you buy from uxs?

I don’t know what you mean by this. Still learning here.

No, I bought from unixsurpluscom.

The formatting completed sometime in the early morning and I am sad to say it did not work.

The drives still show up as size of zero and I was unable to reformat with 512 bytes. My drives are from 2011 though.

Guess I’ll contact the seller now.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d do that.

In all likelihood, you’ve got the lba 0 issue, but it’s honestly not something you should have to deal with out of the box.

1 Like

Yeah, I got the drives on the 27th. It would be different if I got these for free. But yeah I straight up bought these drives that don’t work out of the box.

1 Like