Dubstep Linux

I want to make a version of Linux (probably based on Ubuntu or Mint (which ik is based on Ubuntu anyway) because it's what I'm most familiar with). Essentially, dubstep central. All of the system sounds are different sounds typically found in dubstep music. But graphically, when a window is opened, it wobbles like jelly to a short beat, and the desktop reacts to mouse movement, increasing tempo and bass based on mouse movement. File transfers are like a bass drop, building up until it completes, and then BOOM! Wubwubwub. Essentially the most useless, non-productive Linux distro in the world. But it would be so worth it. What do you guys think? How hard would something like this be? I'm no expert, not by a long shot... But it'd be a fun project.

I'm no expert but this sounds like something you may want to wait to start on. I don't know how much Linux experience you have, but this might require tweaking a LOT of system software (like file managers and desktop environments).

1 Like

Yeah... The complexity is what I was worried about. Erggh I wish I knew more about all this xD

It's a funny idea, and it's probably possible, but you probably want to get some more experience "messing around" with Linux before you dive into something this big. Speaking from experience, biting off more than you can chew with Linux (or networking) is a recipe for frustration. For example, back when I knew almost nothing about networking, I tried to set up a DNS server with bind9 entirely from the command line. I ended up switching to Webmin as an admin tool because I got so frustrated that I didn't want to do it anymore. For years I was scared of the thought of setting up a DNS server without an easy GUI admin tool, and the other day I got curious and started looking at my BIND config, and discovered now that I knew what I was doing, it looked a lot more user-friendly.

TL;DR - Get some more hands-on experience with Linux and programming first. Learn C, C++, maybe Python, and basic Bash scripting. Mess around with Linux in some VMs and just play with stuff. If you want to play with audio stuff, that's great, I just don't recommend trying to start from here and go straight to "finished product."

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, I've been taking C++ lessons and I'm barely scratching the surface.

find the native file path for the original Ubuntu sounds and just replace them with yours. I think they're oggs

1 Like

That would be the simplest route for the sound part. I've considered it. Similar to making a sound theme for Windows. It wouldn't be dynamic enough though. I want it to have a sense of interactivity.

This is a good route. You could go one step further and turn it into a .deb package

2 Likes

that'll be a somewhat complex diy project.. I cannot help you much further but if you're really interested in learning about this stuff try finding some of the devs on irc

1 Like

Yeah... I may go as far as trying to get a group of people who can, and just commissioning them, learning from them, of course.

I am no fan of most dubstep, but have friends with differing musical views who would love this idea. Regardless of music taste, this is a great idea - having a reason to get stuck in and make something different is best motivation for learning something GNU

that is a challenge when you consider there is already Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber Linux. There should be lots more Linux distributions based on more grown-up styling to balance this sort of thing

If you get the dubstep themeing worked out, sure there there would be folks wanting to adapt your research to other musical styles

1 Like

Classical Linux, Metal Linux, Techno Linux, and Bee Gees Linux... The most amazing Linux to ever exist...

Seems like you really don't need to change much with the whole of Linux. Just a custom window manager, maybe? Its a neat idea of window borders or overlays that have some sort of animation. Probably no more complex than using a custom GPU shader for an effect.
You'd probably also need to bake in Jack or its like to be able to route your audio to your window manager.

At that point you should look at the code for some of the old visualizer plugins. Maybe even use existing visualizer plugins in the window manager.

1 Like

Check out E.S.R's blog and "how to be a hacker", there's some more good stuff there too, but that was really the first piece of information I found that gave me a good idea of how to gain understanding of Linux and programming on Linux. If you can understand it.

1 Like

Yeah. For now, it'd essentially be a really dynamic window manager. I think the only things that would require me doing complicated things that have a point, would be for performance and bugfixes. Maybe some sort of optimizations just so it's not more of a Dubstep Flavoured PC Toaster.

Thank yoo!

You're welcome, from one noob to another! Just keep playing with it and it will get more fun! ..not an innuendo.

1 Like

Speak for yourself.

2 Likes

xD Your username suggests otherwise ;)