Dual Xeon or i7 - Full Workstation or overclocking for rendering mainly

yeah, resolve is aight. only works on RHEL though iirc.

This may be a noob question but what do you mean? I assume from a quick #ask Google that you are talking about some linux compatibility problems...

they claim full linux support, but they only package for Redhat, which restricts your options to essentially 4 distros, and only on the paid version.

fucks with my workflow too much for me to bother. good if you use win or OSX as your daily driver though.

1 Like

Not too concerned with that as SSDs are more affordable now or would you suggest mechanical? Life expectancy? I don't have any experience with raid 0.

I currently have selected 4x 16gig sticks which would allow me to double if necessary. Not sure what massive is. I plan to do on average 15 minutes of video composed in a 3D environment. Cut scenes though not complete flow. It will be 1080p for now but would want the hardware to be 4K capable for growth.

would never recommend mechanical raid 0 as the only point is doubling your drives speed. it works by splitting up data among both harddrives so instead of reading a 10gb file it reads 2x 5gb files on 2 different drives. the #1 priority in raid 0 is speed which it achieves, but it puts arguably the most strain you can put on a drive short of a stress test. if you need 100+ gb of faster then a normal ssd storage then this makes sense and you loose a drive every 1-2 years. if you need a few dozen gb of faster then normal ssd storage then raid disk makes sense as you can keep your ssd alive for 5~ years and ram almost never dies. you know the size of your files and your budget for replacing drives better then i. now you know the limitations of the technology.

I hear that. I just focus my hobbies on cars rather than cars.

Build logs are easy. It's basically just documenting the process. (most people are interested in the pictures)

I hate Adobe. I pay for it for my wife. It is not that I hate the program, just the company.

Flowblade is interesting, but is it for Linux only? I hate to admit this here, but I have zero experience with Linux.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Got. Will do. It will take at least couple months to accumulate all the parts.

Youre welcome. I really can't urge you enough to try it out as soon as possible especially as it seems that you primarily use Windows. And pls tell me if you like it :)

About storage lets get back to earth for a minute:

He already has an intel U.2 SSD which can easily archive over 1gb/s reads or more. It is 400 gb which Is plenty for the OS, His most used programms and as a scratch disc for Video editing!

It will be hard-impossible to get the same performance from a mechanical raid 0 (not to mentione the headache and realiability issues)
A Ram disc is also usually not worth it and he can always Experiment with it and even add more ram down the line.

Summary:
Don't worry to much about storage! Start off with your existing Intel SSD see how it goes. mabe do some ramdisc testing (because its fun...) Then you know will know what else you want or need...

PS: The only consideration would be to take a Motherboard which also has one or two m.2 slots because this interface will probably the most intelligent way to add more ultra-fast SSD-Storage down the line.

Hope this was helpfull :)

I honestly never thought to look, I ususally just assume that they put out windows binaries too for stuff like this. (krita and mypaint were linux only for a few years too, but I thought they were unique)

if you hate adobe you can honestly get away with using linux pretty easily. It's not for everyone though.

(nuke, lightworks, blender, natron, and the paid versions of da vinci all have linux support, so does all the blackmagic hardware/software, and GIMP, GMIC, opencv, Krita inkscape/synfig make good CC replacements)

I have not found a MB that supports 4x GPUs, U.2 and M.2 all at once. Something gets disabled as they share resources at some point. You have to pick and choose. Even the WS MBs I have looked at that support more than 40 lanes forces you to choose U.2 or M.2 when 4x GPUs. Looking back, 3x GPUs may have been a wiser choice to balance connectivity vs rendering GPU muscle. This could have allowed an open PCIe slot for a Nvme x4 card and save $400 for pocket or something else.

That is the main reason I posted this thread. To get other opinions because of tech limitations. Also taking my time with this build as not to make poor hasty impulse decisions I have done in the past.

I could return a GPU, but I cannot bring myself to do it..... lol

I have a feeling that you'll need a big ass NUMA dual slot board to get all of these working at once, but then you can go max lanes to core ratio to drop the cost a bit.

I do plan to experiment with Linux. I hate Microsoft as much, if not more, as Adobe. Also Nvidia, when you have AMD supporting open source. But for some application you are better off with Windows and with most graphic type programs you are far better off with Nvidia. Kinda painted into a corner.

well, given the progress of their Wait (tm) tech, just short of the heat death of the universe. they ostensibly support it now, but their performance and driver overhead is so ridiculous that your only cost effective and efficient option rn is nvidia on linux. to make matters worse, some stuff works better on their "PRO" stack, while other things work better on the OSS stuff, meaning you have this weird split where only half your software works well at any given time, if you do gpgpu/visual/games stuff extensively.

realistically it hinges on their new releases doing gangbusters, so they have the surplus to start serious funding on linux development.

Welp kind of expected this...

I guess we are all still humans who have illogicale Emotions (pretty strange right?)

just one Thing:
Have you already bought the Intel U.2 SSD?
Because if you haven't already, I would highly recomend Going for M.2 instead of U.2 because Its the way more widely used standard!
There's a ton of M.2 SSD's on the marcet but only one U.2 SSD from intel. (This means that M.2 is way more Future-Proof)

This would allow you to have a safe upgrade path down the line in a few years when you want even faster storage. It's even very likely that you could then put your old SSD in your Wife's or your own Laptop without any issues...

The only thing I purchased were the GPUs. I was waiting for the 1080 Ti but I got a really good deal on the 980 Ti so could buy 4x 980 Ti as opposed to 2x 1080 Ti, with substantially more cuda cores (at 4x compared to 2x) and overclockability than the 1080 series. For the same money.

I am going to purchase the case, hopefully this week, but it will be a couple weeks before I start buying any of the other hardware. Case will take at least a month or more to fully arrive. That is also why I posted. To get feed back before I buy. plus most of the hardware is special order from my local B&M.

So are you suggesting a Samsung 960 Pro? Maybe I should upgrade to 1TB?

I was just saying M.2 over U.2 in general. Because it will give you more choices now and in the future. (and you can reuse it better when upgrading)

I don't know but you can never go wrong with Samsung for SSD's

But i would suggest looking into Motherboards first (mabe you can even find one with 2 x m.2) As soon as you know this, finding the Right SSD's for your needs will be farely strait foreward.

Also normal Sata SSD's are not a bad option for normal storage needs. Yes you will be limited by the interface ( 6gbits/s) but this is still a lot (500-600 mb/s in the real world)

Yeah I guess I'm pretty late to the party but wanted to add my mini 2 cents in. From the looks of it based on your PC partpicker list u are headed on the right track with the Broadwell-E