Dual PC/NAS/KVM/RAID/Display

Good Day everyone,
Linus and Anthony showed in one of there last videos, how to setup an “side-by-side VM - 32:9 Monitor”
This is a great idea and something that would fit perfectly in my wish PC
So I want to create a “plan” for my future setup; and because I have fun doing this, I created a diagram with draw.io
I think this makes it easyer to understand what I want to built:

What I expect from this:

• More Secure with VMs (almost no added lag or greater performance impact ?)
  • Easy to update, upgrade and replace parts and software
  • Fast i/o with programms and games and Temp-files on SSD-Raid (only through lan to PC) (Internal connection possible ? PCIE-to-PCIE ?)
  • Semi fast but very reliable HDD-Raid for backups and finished projects and Media (20 TB accessable 40 TB in total) (Share within the same Wifi as router ?)
  • Stream one VM to TV (toggle between or atleast Windows only) (Miracast ?)
  • Ofcourse the display (and a software to share keyboard and mouse) does all the magic, bringing it together (I just HOPE this is reliable enough for day-to-day work, gaming and fun projects)
  • a price around 3500-4000€ + Display (Therefor the “plan”; buying the PC first, than storage, than server, than display ?)

Dreams:

• Get a X68000 Case and fitting everything perfectly, a similiar modern case, or DIY!

So, would this work the way I think it does? Are there any big misconceptions on my side? Or do you think this would be stupid because …?
What’s important: that it works in the end

1 Like

Doable with a Chromecast too, if you’re in to that.

Welcome to the forum btw.

@anon46267848 Thank you :slight_smile:

Is there any speed/lag difference between chromecast and miracast? It should be able to stream games and movies, maybe even in 4k

What I forgott: I want to boot both PCs, login both independet, and than let linux on the main PC take control over the display to show both VMs side-by-side. Would this be possible or do I need to unplug the display cable from the “server pc”
But this dual display would need to have two imputs for e.g hdmi, and could display both this way, and could display one connection on Both screens as two seperated screens…

I can’t speak to that, my experience with Miracast is limited.
A Chromecast ultra will do 4K.

You might also wanna look into airtame, which is a wireless HDMI dongle with few limitations.
I also have one of those laying around, not used, as the Chromecast serves my needs.

2 Likes

Oh didn’t know about Airtame, this looks promissing! Screen sharing the full display or just one app is perfect, thank you for the tip! I will look into this and google for a comparison with chromecast ultra