Dual NIC setups - SuperMicro H12 series

Yeah. Paying more for less complexity is often underrated around here with most people building homelab on a tight budget.

NIC-wise, I haven’t needed to deploy any 25Gb infra myself. In general Intel NICs are the safest bet though. AFAIK, there is no copper solution, so it’s going to be fiber with SFP28 transceivers. CAT8 cable is a thing (40Gb) but I have never seen a switch for it. Probably extremely expensive.

Caveat that sfp28 DACs do exist but only for short runs afaik. I assume the workstations are not immediately adjacent to the rack…

They actually are - the are pretty damn loud so they live in that dark cool space with other loud stuff.

I think if you’re investing in infrastructure that becomes your backbone and you don’t want to spend your time in dark spaces, invest properly.

Switch… 24-Port 10Gb SFP+ L3 Managed Stackable Switch with 25G/40G Uplinks, S5860-20SQ - FS

NICs… Intel XXV710 PCIe Network Interface Card, Dual-Port 25G SFP28 NIC - FS

Delivery date on the NICs looks odd… I’ll check elsewhere like ShopBLT too…

Whaddya think?

NIC should be fine.

Nice find on the switch. I had no idea FS made switches. Are 4 25Gb ports enough? You would want to aggregate the 40G uplinks to your server.

Pretty cool eh? Yah, 4 will be enough - need 2 atm. Maybe add a third at some point… maybe.

Oh, ok.

1 Like

Yeah, looks nice.

I’d put aside some time and read through this before you get it:

Looks pretty normal though.

Are you wanting to use an automation tool to configure this (or I’m thinking in your case, probably just set and forget)? Skimming the cli reference, I don’t see anything about auto-provisioning, netboot or similar. The one advantage to the Mikrotik switch is that RouterOS has an Ansible module and some auto-provisioning capability.

Also, wow this is probably the most affordable SONiC-compatible 10G switch I’ve seen. Can’t wait for these to hit used market.

Can’t seem to source any 25GbE NICs… the Intel ones. You find any?

1 Like

Idk, if they seem to be out of stock everywhere, that might just be the reality. Any on alibaba or eBay?

Roll the dice there my friend…

What if you put a 40GbE NIC in the workstations and connect them to a 25GbE port on the switch - can you do that? Lots of 40GbE NICs available.

I don’t know for sure, but since QSFP is essentially 4X SFP+, it might not be possible. I’m not an expert on the particulars of the implementation, but my understanding of QSFP and QSFP28 are that they are essentially 4 interfaces bonded in hardware instead of software. For instance, there are QSFP breakout cables that convert to 4X SFP+. There’s no adapter chip in there, the connection can just be physically divided into 4. This is not the case for SFP28 which is actually a single 25Gb link, similar to SFP+ is 10Gb.

That said, there are multiple 40G standards out there. As mentioned before, CAT8 cables are intended for some sort of 40Gb standard that isn’t QSFP. There’s also infiniband, but I think that’s pretty ancient now.

This actually brings up a point about that switch. It’s unusual to have both SFP28 and QSFP ports on the same switch. If the SFP28s are downlinks and the QSFP is uplink, I’m not sure that a single connection could ever surpass 10Gb since QSFP is essentially 4x 10Gb. It’s possible that the benefit of QSFP over software aggregation is that it can saturate 40G over a single connection, but I’m not sure. I’ve only ever used QSFP as an interconnect between switches.

You are not alone in making that statement… FS S5860-20SQ 10GbE, 25GbE, and 40GbE Switch Review - YouTube

1 Like

Edgecore is another brand of switch that you could look at. Similar offerings, but might have a better port layout for you.

Good luck using balance-rr mode bonding with anything other than two Linux hosts running a test in iperf … I assumed we were talking real world situations where the clients may be any os and doing real file transfers…

Teehee… I like the Real World…

Two thousand pages of commands!!! LOL. Talk about watching paint dry… in its basic form can I not just connect devices and it’ll switch packets for me without diving into this manual in detail?

This here could be useful to you:

Edit: She is an expensive beast!

Ouch… way too pricey. Really looking for a switch with a few 25GbE ports and a 40GbE to connect to the serfer.

A switch with 25G links to clients/servers would not make sense to have “slow” 40G uplinks. Most would have 100G uplinks, like MikroTik CCR2216 @oO.o mentioned or the FS N8569-48BC or Aruba JL702A (← warning, shitty website)

Edit: Juniper EX4650 could be something. No idea about prices (and potentially required licenses though)

1 Like

Thread is a month old but just joined the forum to chime in as I’m also looking for a similar solution for bandwidth but not so many shared users.
I’ve been in post for 20 years and the last 18 months a lot of my income has come from dailies. I really think you should consider proxy editing for your workflow. Then you don’t have to use a ton of capital building a network that can share multiple streams of Red raw. Data in post only gets bigger as time goes on so if you ever want to scale your business it’s a big investment to accomodate more users. I’m guessing the reason you want to work on the camera files directly is so that you can do the offline and online at the same time? If that’s the case it may just be better to invest in fast local storage and share projects across a 10gbe network.

Did you end up buying anything yet?

Almost - we just finished building the TrueNAS Scale system - 8 x WD Gold 16TB in a raidZ1 configuration. WD was a nightmare for acquiring HDDs. Finally got the system all built this week.

Now I’m back to looking at NICs and switches. Current thinking

We don’t want to move data around between machines - especially as we move to editing video in parallel using BMD’s Project Server (which we use).

Thoughts?

Nice
Will be curious to see how that switch works out. Pretty affordable for 25gbe!
My guess though is with only 8 drives you’re going to have a hard time getting 2+ streams of Red raw going real time at the same time.