Dual-monitor KVM solution for weird combination of ports

I’m looking to use a KVM with my personal PC and my work laptop.

Monitors are 1080p ultrawide with HDMI inputs and 1080p standard with VGA and DVI-D inputs.

Work laptop has HDMI 1.4 output, and I have a USB-C port adapter with additional HDMI and VGA outputs.

Personal computer has 1 HDMI 2.0, 1 DP 1.4, and 1 DVI-D output.

I’m currently using an old DVI KVM and switching inputs on the ultrawide.

If I can put an HDMI splitter after the KVM, this sounds like the best solution. Alternative is to get a dual monitor KVM and convert as needed for the connections. I think a dual HDMI KVM, converting DP to HDMI from my PC and converting to VGA or DVI for the older monitor, will work.

Thoughts?

If you don’t need to use the machines at the same time and both your laptop and pc can be connected to both monitors at the same time then you could consider a simple usb hub such as a ugreen usb 3.0 4 port switcher. Sounds like you have the connections (laptop hdmi 1.4/usb-c VGA and pc hdmi/DVI) just not sure if you’re laptop can drive two additional displays via these connections. Given that you currently have to manually switch one of the monitors to use the other input when using the KVM it might not be much different to switch both and just have a switch handle your keyboard/mouse and possibly additional usb devices such as headset or camera.

Not sure I follow these benefit of a hdmi splitter after the KVM, as that is typically to send the same output to multiple monitors? Although I see some devices that are hdmi switches called the same?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.