Dual Intel A770s?

So I’m looking to replace my current Dual GPU machine, that I use for testing how scaling works in certain situations and games and looking to upgrade and wondering if Dual A770s would work with normal drivers etc etc? Just like a normal dual GPU setup?

I want to replace this aging Radeon Duo

Do most games even support multi GPU today? I thought that was all basically killed off with DX12 and no longer having SLI and Xfire?

1 Like

No but that’s what this machine is for. Mainly just testing software GPU scaling and games. Not my main system just a test bench of sorts

I’d be curious, if Intel even done multi gpu/gpgpu , on the enterprise side
I’d anticipate that some bridge attachment be necessary [ex nVIDIAs nvLink]

well DX12 said it would support multi-gpu, but the Dev would have to impliment that into the game. And most won’t since the multi-gpu days are over so not worth the extra work.

@lemij31400 if you’re looking to replace a dual GPU, just get the most powerful gpu in your budget

1 Like

Multi GPU in Games is not a thing anymore. While there are some titles that benefit from it, its a dying trend…
But you wrote: “gamen and other stuff”, so we are looking at:

using one GPU for gaming - and two for computation stuff…

right ?

For DX12 Titles, the 770 is a good buy for the money spent… Raytracing, etc. are all on board and pefformance is decent, around midrange GEN30, varying from title to title. Unless you are into “4K raytracing highest details” gaming, you can have solid performance on An A770 - I have one, for me its completely “enough”…

For computaional stuff: Raw performance of the matrix vector cores (similar to tensor) is around 3060 to 3070 territory, Scalar Shader performance is quite good. But the software side still needs improvement. IF what you want to do with it supports OpenVino/OneAPI, you can get good midrange performance out of it… Stable diffusion is running around the speed of a 3060Ti on my system… Multiple GPU should be possible but I have not tried it…
But: If you want it universal and play around with all the upcoming algos, use waifu2x, Topaz, ESRGAN etc… in all its variants - getting an NVIDIA Card will open EVERY possibiliy available at the moment . Intel is catching up and doing a much better Job than AMD to support “AI stuff” etc… but you have to be aware that you are in an early adaptor role here…
Tensor Cores really do make a huge difference, once supported… Intel has equivalents and they are fast, too - but support is not where CuDA already is… AMD offers these kinds of cores only at RX7000 and above…and support is almost non existant in the windows / end user / enthusiast level…

so I´d suggest to check your “workflow and usecase” - if you want to play with everything you find - get NVIDIA… If you have a realtively closed set of usecases and all thes support or will support oneAPI soon and you are willing to play around a little - Intel gives you a good bang for the buck…

If the machine is just for screwing around why bother?

Honestly just because I’m curious. I have a few dual GPUs I like playing around with for this machine and this is my “dual GPU” test machine. Not sure why I like them so much.

I had crossfire vegas for a while - when crossfire was officially supported on some stuff and i’d suggest: don’t bother.

Even things that supported crossfire were frequently hit with stuttering or graphical glitches if certain settings were enabled.

Go for it if you have the cards and are curious, but 4-5 years on from when i was doing it, with a vendor who never pushed multi gpu ever at all, i reckon you’ll have a bad time.

My fave computer I ever had was a Dell precision 670. It was in a Gen 1 gaming case from Dell. Same case but with lights and it’s blue.

When I put dual nv9800’s in there oh my god skyrim on a p4 has never been so fun

I don’t think you’ll have any issues with two cards in one system. I’m not sure you would unless you didn’t activate rebar. Make sure you have that turned on, go for it.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.