Dual-Chipset Motherboards the Future?

I fundamentally disagree that the segment is there. This forum is a niche of a niche. Its not a good place to do market analysis.

Also, reading information from leakers is the same as fortune telling using cloud formations. Stop paying attention to those clowns, its bad for the industry.

1 Like

old ATI X2 GPUs used these, it bas basically crossfire on a board and that chip was the magic sauce. you oculd even crossfire say an HD4850 with an HD4870x2 for a triple GPU setup.

also off topic the HD4000 was the last time crossfire worked well. now single GPU rules the roost. SLI/CFX is too much work and too many software patches.

1 Like

@SgtAwesomesauce Didn’t mean to upset ya sir, it was only to start discussion about this architecture and the possible benefits/drawbacks or market constraints causing the move to this due to semiconductor shortage chip shortage. I just wanted to see peoples ideas who deal with hardware in production environments was all.

You definitely didn’t upset me, I was just grumpy as this was pre-coffee.

The thing that i was frustrated about is the people who follow leakers like its some sort of sporting event. These people are making a career out of people violating NDAs and leaking confidential IP which can give their competitors a leg up. All leaker culture does is harm the companies you’re excited to hear about.

2 Likes

Roger, I got ya. I guess I was just interested in the architecture and theoretical implications. Lol. :slight_smile:

i think you’d like this YT channcel and you might spend some time going back a few years checking videos

quite few discussions on archtecirue both current, past and future chips but, also computing and whole and where architecture will go. form chiplets to quantum computing this dude has hours footage breaking things down about as far as you can go and why, what when, where, and who basically taking the mystery out of it somewhat

also patrik at servethehome, the discussion and coverage on DPUs is a big big change on the datacenter side. as a kid i used to think you could combine multiple computers in to on super computer. well DPUs make that possible with x86 servers so long as you run a hypervisor. also changes the way you’d architect a DC now. especial with 100-300GBps switches and NICs being more common place now and 25Gbps switch and NICs being the used left overs you can get on ebay cheap now

1 Like

I have only read the opening post and replies.

Yeah the chipset x570 as far as I know, got a process shrink, needing less power making less heat so passive… But I will not start of the fan suffice to say its fine and if it isn’t you bought the wrong motherboard.

As for dual chipsets? On consumer boards I don’t think so. Maybe workstation or server boards if the need for breaking out was was necessary and too cumbersome for a single chipset to spread out to.

I imaging there would be communication issues if they were to do two chipsets that would make consumer “gaming” desktops not suitable.

Like if you have your game storage on an ssd on one chip set and the core your game is running on, on the opposite side of the CPU as it might not be able to stay on the one core all the time, right now the core all have equal “length” to the one chipset, so should be equal in communication speed.

But if you have tasks being handed off to other cores that then also have to switch where the data is coming from.or going to it might be messy, see the intel thing with different CPU cores alone for reference and what that did to the schedular. I could imagine again storage on one chip set, GPU on another and the system having the read from storage on one chipset, transfer that into to the ram and then other core, send the GPU instruction, get that result, and do it again. That shuffle of info may not always go smoothly and might hitch or delay as they two are more independent and not in lock step like they are closer to now.

This is entire speculation and ramblings but I could imagine it being a pain for a while if not eternally.

1 Like

@op
unlikely, if anything more and more circuits will be migrated to the cpu for power consumption and timing reasons, with the resulting motherboards just being passthrough’s to the relevant com ports.

just look at boards from 20 years ago, to 10 years ago to today. you will see the amount of surface components has dropped off dramatically.
so i would assume that trend will continue.

1 Like

That would be interesting to see.

Passive or nearly passive motherboards would allow for some cool small form factors.

The remaining active boards would probably have to come up with some unique features that could also be fun.

1 Like

I ran into Coreteks channel a few months ago. His breakdown on things is pretty good and on point in most cases.

1 Like

He’s hard to listen to sometimes. For a channel called “Serve the Home”, he tends to do ALOT of enterprise level stuff that is out of the range for “serving the home”.

1 Like

This seems sus

I smell northbridges and dual chip designs from talos 2’s

1 Like

thats where the name comes form, enterprise servers at home. like on /r/homelabs or here in the enterpise section. i love collecting enterprise gear, mostly new but, some new, pretty pricey for the new stuff.

a lot of home labers are also the sys admins and architects at work for thier day jobs too. HOWEVER i think you are right!

guess there ins’t as much content to cover? i wish L1T did more linux and home lab stuff but, when you think about it there are guides for most stuff. that is part of the reason why wendells videos are awesome liek the one on security system DIY

i digress i posted those links because dual chipset makes little sense to me since NB and SBs have been a thing for many years i assume op and postser are interested in where tihngs are heading.

1 Like

I like what Wendell said a while ago about some motherboards basically being CPU adapters now. Makes sense when you think about it.

1 Like

Kinda agree.

They have a couple of little “used item recommendations” on their site that were useful for picking out some parts at reasonable prices on Ebay but they haven’t been updated in a long time.

I’d really like for a rolling guide for what hardware to look for on Ebay with details like gotchas, tradeoffs, and use cases.

I mean, information on multi-thousand dollar items are cool but not useful for most homelabbers until years have past and they are dropping into the second hand market. And they are still only useful, if they are also still worth it and are price competitive.

It’s actually pretty hard to get up-to-date information on what hardware fits various pricing tiers and are worth getting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.