Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu with encryption on both OS

Everywhere i look i can find tutorials how to dual boot windows 10 and a linux distro. What i cant find is one where both of them are encrypted. Can it even be done? I would like Ubuntu but i can manage with some other distro.
I can also use two different drives for this. The only thing i do not want is switching the boot drive from bios every time i want to boot a different OS.

I want to make the jump to linux but keep windows for family and gaming.(No vm funny stuff)
Show me the way.

Yes, it can. I ran such a setup for a couple of years before moving to a KVM pass-thru setup.
I followed this guide here

It’s a slightly old guide now but reading through it should still work. You’ll end up with both OS’s encrypted with Veracrypt or LUKS, with a shared Veracrypt encrypted volume that can be accessed by each system. When you start the system, you’ll get the Veracrypt bootloader where you can start Windows, or press Esc to go to Grub where you can boot to Ubuntu. Note that this guide suggests installing Ubuntu first then Windows, but I did it the other way round and all worked fine.
Good luck!

3 Likes

I run an encrypted instance of Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 on my work laptop. On the same drive. There is no problem at all with such a setup.

The Ubuntu installation is LUKS-encrypted via the installer and Windows is Bitlocker-encrypted (corporate requirement).

Keep in mind though, with this setup it’s impossible to chainload the windows bootloader from grub and having it not throw a hissy fit.
Bitlocker with TPM does not like that at all. So you would have to press the boot menu key at POST to choose which OS to boot. (which is only 2 clicks more than choosing from grub, to be honest)

Is updating windows borken like it says in the article?

Does bitlocker still want a password when you boot in to windows?

EDIT: Nevermind, Veracrypt 1.23 now supports upgrades without issue.

Summary

AFAIK yes, but there is a workaround:
https://github.com/th-wilde/veracrypt-w10-patcher

Bitlocker can be set so use the TPM only. Then you don’t have to enter a password. But I’d recommend using also a password to unlock your machine.

Hi @92aceshigh! :smiley: Just found this link to my post. Thanks for the info about the Win10 updates not being broken any more. I’ve updated my post accordingly! I should note that I’ve not run like this for some time (the broken Win10 updates got too much for me, so I went back to Linux-Only) but knowing that’s fixed - I might just go back to using this with Win10 again soon!