DRM in the new web standards?

Just musing over the latest tech and I'm flabbergasted that we've reached the point where DRM has been accepted into the standards of the web by the W3C. Well, I would have been years ago, but now I'm not actually after thinking about it. Often times this podcast claims not to be political but the libertarian bias is quite clear which isn't really my gripe to tackle in this post but I think the presentation of being apolitical is a misunderstanding of politics and the question of who controls power in society.

Anyway, not going to get into that, but instead what I'd like to explain is why this development doesn't surprise me when we look at the trajectory of the internet 10 years ago when I first started using it to now. The internet back in the day was a scary place where you might be sued for uploading music on limewire, but piracy was by and far pretty rampant anyway and eventually the MAFIAA had to give up their losing battle to win court cases. Now we've moved onto a net that's been comprimised by a plethora of federal raids, takeovers and hacks among other things and finding pirate content is more about "piracy as a service" and people streaming it from shady ass websites instead. Anyway, we're moving away from ownership of content because of how the accumulation of capital(resources) centralizes the computing experience (i.e.: the cloud). By being convienient people adopt it, but further ensnare themselves in the web and its control by relinquishing ownership to someone else's server instead of downloading content directly to their device with P2P solutions.

When we follow the profit motive, it's clear to see why a consortium full of corporate sponsors would be interested in locking down the web. They want to lock down the web for the same reason that Microsoft pays vendors to install it's OS by default and why Mac tries to roll their own experience entirely. (Google you're guilty too on mobile). By locking your experience to corporate code without an alternative people are at your mercy to use a computer and code for your ecosystem. The amount of data to harvest from that experience is enormous and in the world of marketing that's a lot of $$$. Not only that, but if the user is unable to control their own browser it becomes much easier for websites to strongarm their code and avoid circumvention of watching ads (because who in the actual fuck wants to watch ads willingly) or downloading content directly.

So the fact that an internet largely dominated by corporations who rely on ad revenue or advertisements for their product placement would comprimise the collective security of us all as computer users actually comes as little surprise when we think about capitalism.

What is surprising though is how these companies are continually defended in their property "rights" to do this when we think about the power this gives them in relation to the rest of us. In our system of government if a body regulating standards were to impose such dracionian measures to ensure their power over others, people would (rightfully) be up in arms, but as soon as someone is doing it privately it's not a problem? The illusion of a competitive free market may seem like a solution, however the nature of the business cycle means that the mostly ruthless, cutthroat winners from previous business recessions take the booty of competitors past. So instead of starting from 0, in the next round of accumulation when the business boom comes there are players who are already well established in their influence on the market. Eventually they become so big we have 6 corporations that control 90% of the media we consume. Middle class, venture capital start ups just become add-ons to purchase to an increasingly larger operation or coders of failed ones go to work for something like Google/Apple/Microsoft.

The only way to ensure public control of computing, and thus a secure and open internet, is through the code and hardware being owned publically. Enter the Free Software movement. Millions of developers dedicate hours of labor tackling a plethora of computing problems. However, many see competition and the free market as what promotes the growth of Free Software (or at the very least open source which actually isn't entirely untrue in that case and provides yet another model of "code as a service"). However this is a ludicrous claim to make when GNU/Linux fails to surge past 3% of the market share at any given time, let alone other OSes. On a side note, android is doing fine because google's added layer of control and incompatibility with the rest of the linux OSes gives it more control of experience (while ushering desktop and mobile users alike to the cloud where google can hold on to your data for you).

It doesn't have to be bleak though, because the Free Software movement is a testament to the power of open code. When we fight for a collective commons in the realm of computing, the power we have is enormous. Projects like Linux, GIMP, Firefox, and LibreOffice are among a few that have helped propel open standards and control, even if they are limited by the competition of the profit motive to attract good developers into propietary projects that will benefit investors less generous than the ones backing these projects. If we funded free software publically and fought for computing as a basic right (not just the internet), one can only imagine the level of coordination we could acheive in creating an ecosystem that would allow human creativity to flourish and our ability to share content. Instead of dedicating $55bn more to military spending imagine if that was used to fund open source projects and reach some cohesion on linux development by giving it some actual resources and protections to making code public (because seriously, how is shit this fragmented?) Instead we have corporations giving us open code when it's convienient for development on their platforms and holding onto code that's too precious to give away to the masses. That and linux development is only focused on servers because of the infrastructrual need to have open server code with good support while the desktop experience chugs along in the wayside because it's not nearly as proftiable unless it can be monopolized to the extent of other vendors. With public funding and control that isn't focused on turning a profit, we could actually talk about making a decent OS that respects the user.

3 Likes

agreed I also would like to mention this
Stallman's explanation of the current state of DRM

2 Likes

I like his call to make political changes to the existing laws to make DRM a crime and can totally get behind that. Without a mass movement that's actively fighting in a way that pressures businesses (through strikes and organizing of other sorts), there's little reason to legislate that for the current political elite, but pressure from below could change that.

His call to boycott is also a bit naive without tech workers organizing to provide free computing as a real alternative that's under serious active development. Sure you can boycott the internet if they add DRM, but then you miss out on a necessary tool for organizing to fight against that encroachment (the internet itself). Sure you could use certain browsers that neglect to add DRM, but they will become increasingly irrelevant as DRM takes over the net. So tech workers have to find a way to build their collective resources that allow us to actually develop and take control of the code they write in the majority of a day (such as striking against agreements that give all code written by them to their boss).

Here is a snippet of free and open source code you can run on your free gnu/linux bash terminal to call a free web browser to direct you to an interesting result from a free search engine:

firefox -private-window "https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+world+wide+web+is+bullshit&t=hb&ia=about"

Yup just go ahead and copy/paste that into your terminal. Have a look around.

The second the web became legitimate was the second it became lame. Seriously, the masses accepted and embraced the web as something real, valuable, trustworthy - they made it legitimate.

And the internet. Holy smokes what a joke! Okay so the government is going to get involved in how a buch of computers talk to each other? Really, they're computers? Talking to each other. That's it. And now congress is involved.

"Well they can't talk in this protocol it's encrypted we won't know what the f they're saying to each other." "We need better cyber security". All coming from the guy who gave his creds up in a spear fishing attack. That's who's deciding the fate of YOUR internet.

The internet could have been cool, but now the normies, the lusers those folks use the internet , own it, and it's become a freaking shit show. They all want email. Which when the heck did that become serious?

And the best is how easy and cheap it is to get a VPS up. Oh boy - give it three years and see how many compromised cloud boxes originally spun up as web servers are now compromised and being used a hikacked VPNs and email servers spamming us all.

Where's @FaunCB's BBS when you need it?

3 Likes

I have it set up but I have had a lot of ISP problems lately. I think the best thing we can do is make a new internet. How? I dunno. With the same guesses that were originally made. Possibly using HAM as the new data connection or something like that.

Point is, the current web is fallout at this point. Theres no point in supporting a dead infrastructure. I think this legislature is going to pass either way. And if it doesn't and it gets called in front of a court? That'll be the day...

I mean in this particular instance the government isn't the party putting forth these changes. It's a standardization body that is composed of entirely private actors. If it were through the government though, those with the most money would just lobby congressional officials in the typical manner. The point I was trying to make is that the profit motive has no mechanism to prevent this and actually encourages this kind of development by securing as big a benefit as possible for a minority of people who can afford to direct power to their own ends. In fact, if we were to organize a public body (composed of normal people like us) that can withstand monied interests we could fight this much better.

I agree that it's frustrating how the internet went to shit, but I think just blindly blaming the government misses some pieces of the puzzle. Certainly people in office are to blame for not protecting a free and open internet by passing shit like the DCMA and stuff, but it's important to look at the interests driving that legislation to understand why it turned out that way. That and the commercialization of the internet from something that used to be an educational network between universities and other nerds such as ourselves drove the internet downhill to a great degree by bringing about all sorts of app-store philosophy and centralizing services so now we have a few major websites that dominate all web traffic. But that was going to happen regardless as soon as capitalists saw that they could make money off of the internet and using it to market and sell shit to us.

I think this is a flawed way of seeing the problem. We can't keep receding into smaller and smaller pockets of a hidden internet, because it will become increasingly difficult for new users to join in until eventually that internet is all but gone in the public eye. Only the most priveleged and technologically adept will be able to join by nature of how hard it is to access (jumping through VPNs, knowing which peers are the best to connect to, knowing where the deaddrops are, etc). In fact, I would argue that saving the current infrastructure is our only opportunity to actually have an open internet, because if the majority of people are stuck on the corporate TVweb, then it will be just like the hippie communes of generations past that sought to change society by running away, only to be forced into returning to the real world to work a 9 to 5 job. Because that's where everyone else is and the system was never actually changed.

I do think that we need to create a infrastructure though that's less easily co-opted and finding a way to make the internet more peer driven certainly would be part of that. However we're still probably going to need a central service like the ISPs to actually physically connect those cables to users so each home is connected to one another, which means we have to take over those resources and declare them a public utility so that everyone has access to them as a right. Otherwise we get the current situation where the internet is seen as a luxury even though it's so integral to our daily lives and offers revolutionary potential for changing the world far beyond that of the printing press. People can't afford to install their own cables for a second internet, let alone pay their internet bills, so I think actually creating a "second internet" would be far too unfeasible for the average individual.

This means we have to develop a point of view that understands the situation and overcome the tendency for the tech sector to be so individualistic in how it approaches problems like this, because it will require a collective solution that protects an internet for all to use, not just those with the know how. It's like TOR: sure it's great in theory, but until it can be put on everyone's computer it's basically worthless because the majority of people are stuck on the shitty TVweb cloud "computing as a service" bullshit that keeps them trapped.

1 Like