Drivers for rx 580 on linux

Hey, just bought a rx 580, arrives this week but i’m a little confused towards drivers. Is there an equivalent to negativo17? I already have a gtx 760 installed, should i uninstall it completely before plugging the new gpu in, or just reinstall the OS? Since it’s an ssd only with necessary software and i already have a setup script, it wouldn’t be much of a problem, but i’d rather not if it isn’t necessary.

Not sure what that is, never used Nvidia GPU on Linux (or at all for that matter?). AMD released AMDGPU and AMDGPU PRO drivers for linux. Which support all the newer cards.

At the moment there is support for Volcanic Islands (VI) and newer and experimental support for Sea Islands (CI) and Southern Islands (SI) cards.

From what I gathered for OpenCL you’ll need to use AMDGPU PRO.

AMD provides a proprietary, binary userland driver called AMDGPU PRO, which works on top of the open-source AMDGPU kernel driver. The driver provides OpenGL, OpenCL, Vulkan and VDPAU support

Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

Sorry that can’t help you more, since I use older card that AMDGPU is only experimentally supporting, I didn’t even try PRO version.

1 Like

Plug the card in. Install an up to date Linux OS. Done. That’s all you need unless you need something specific like opencl as mentioned.

6 Likes

Negativo17 is a 3rd party repo provider for Fedora. One of the packages provided is a pretty much plug and play Nvidia proprietary driver.

I’ve had issues with amdgpu pro on Fedora. OP is better off with either CentOS or Ubuntu for amdgpu pro. That said, Eden’s message pretty much sums it up if you don’t need any opencl.

1 Like

Drivers link just for convenience:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

There were a lot of big changes to AMDGPU in kernel 4.15. Several fixes in the pipe for kernels 4.16 and 4.17, so if you run into issues on 4.15 or newer, try rolling back to 4.14 LTS.

3 Likes

It’s just for games, basically. Thanks for the replies, guys!

3 Likes

Plug it in, have kernel 4.12 or later, tada your card is installed.

3 Likes

For the 5xx series I think your better off with a newer kernel 4.15+ (though generally true for all the and cards) I probably wouldn’t recommend anything lower.

1 Like

Exceptional. Especially considering the 20+ hours i spent dealing with nvidia issues over the last 2 years.

3 Likes

I don’t know how that is on other distros but the DC stuff added in 4.15 (still true up to latest 4.17rc) gets my Manjaro KDE all flickery on the desktop. So, if that happens to you @Selhar, just add amdgpu.dc=0 as a boot parameter and it should be fine.

1 Like

Update: Card arrived, runs great, i didn’t have to install anything.

This is the first time i’ve sudo dnf update’d in months without being afraid of nvidia drivers breaking. I feel like bilbo in that part where he’s in the fucked up forest and gets a breath of fresh air for the first time in a while.
leave%20them%20all%20behind

7 Likes

Omg spoilers bro.

But really, congrats! Sucks that you had such a hard time with nVidia drivers. They’re always smooth sailing with me on Debian and Fedora.

Have fun with the new card! RX580 is a good card. I use one for passthrough.

2 Likes

Hmm. KDE works fine with my R9 Fury on Manjaro with kernel 4.17.
I had the computer crash in the Talos principle with the Vulkan renderer though, so I’m back on 4.16 without DC.
I’ll try disabling DC on 4.17.

Everything seems to be working reasonably well, but testing with a few games i’ve got some weird hiccups i couldn’t solve.
Civilization 6 seems to be stuck between 20~30 fps at the first scenary of the benchmark, rest of the game runs normally at 60+. Whatever graphics configs i use, that first benchmark area is always at 20~30.

Dying light asked me to update opengl, which is pretty weird to and i’m not really sure how to do, searching around the common advice seems to be “install amdgpu”, which is the default driver i have anyway. All other games, vms and applications seem to be working without any issue.

I’ve already updated the system, no change. Any ideas on what’s going on?