Driver problems Win 10 and ASUS MB

ok bud, you help the man.

I’ll get out of your way.

1 Like

P.S. I have reset the BIOS like 10 times now but doing it again dose not hurt :slight_smile:

1 Like

I figured you might have. By chance are you UEFI booting this drive?

Well I have to get some sleep now anyway. I have to work tomorrow. If anyone has some last words I am still interested as I have tried everything I know now.

Thanks for your help anyway

Well It is going to the UEFI but I am not really booting…

The only other thing I could think of right this very second is that you are in some kind of IDE emulation mode instead of AHCI on the drives in the bios but I dont think that would be default in bios.

Yeah that what I thought first but that would be strange, as the MB has no NVMe (I have only seen that on newer M.2 Laptops). I will recheck this tomorrow though.

Ups wrong technology

There is a driver from asus as well for the AHCI/RAID but I really think you shouldnt need it since you’re not running raid. Might be worth a shot anyway.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97IPLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Specifically these.
64bit.zip (594.5 KB)

U know the moments when you should go to sleep but there is one more thing :slight_smile:

This may or may not help you but I just did an upgrade on my Friends notebook with an Intel 4 core M cpu and it has both USB3 and USB2 ports on the sides.

I could NOT get the USB thumb drive to work in either USB3 port but it booted fine from either USB2 port.

Once Windows 10 was installed I had no issues from then on out and everything was detected properly.

The SATA ports were left at the default AHCI mode since he isn’t using RAID.

After this install was completed I used Driver Booster Free from IObit to find any remaining device drivers and rebooted.

I think there are other apps like this one too that can also find some hard to locate device drivers.

Go to bed.

tschuss

Fwiw one of the Bios updates claims to add NVME support. Didn’t see anything relevant to USB/SATA otherwise.

Tried it, same result still :frowning:

g n8

tschüss

1 Like

It may be unrelated but perhaps MS is raising the bar on HW support in the name of stability (and doing it wrong in the process)?

If the May update requires a certain version of RST. Perhaps they removed older SATA drivers from the ISO? Might not hurt to try an older ISO if you happen to have it around. I just downloaded it myself a couple days ago and I think they still have one from 2018?

Well this was pre win 10 so maybe you are on to something

Could see if windows 8 wants to install and then do an upgrade. Would be a bit ghetto but if it works right?

1 Like

Ugh, that feels like about as much fun as a kick in the groin. I’ve always avoided MS upgrades as much as possible, but it would have less of a chance of turning into a dumpster fire on a fresh install.

Still, doesn’t hurt to try the older iso first. Hopefully he is able to get around the whole update issue with drivers from Intel too. It would suck to do all this but find he couldn’t update because no combination of drivers would satisfy MS’ requirement for the update.

1 Like

I cant say I’ve ever had a bad upgrade experience, but mostly I’ve done that on servers :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Well, yeah, MS usually has a well documented upgrade path and tools to migrate user data and such when it comes to server upgrades (though those can be stressful for different reasons - unexpected delays and lack of sleep).

On the desktop there’s just so many variables, plus there’s not as much incentive for them to support every use case. /shrug.

1 Like

Hi everyone. Thanks a lot for your help, at the end I did like @Adubs told me, first Windows 8.1 then I upgrade to 10. It worked but I hate MS now even more. The day that games work on Linux and stuff like the Oculus too is the day I will never touche another MS device again.

1 Like