Drive not fully ultilized

After parading through thorough formatting and Self-testing of drives [from an HBA], which felt like an eternity, the drives are coming up short of capacity. ALL 4 x 4TB HGST drives [off of one cable cluster] are being seen as at ~2.2TB available storage. The Drives were situated as ExFAT and through GPT [only option applicable, since disk drives are >2TB natively]

Is their anything else that needs to be addressed, towards obtaining full drive capacity?

Is it a legacy Sata 2 HBA? One of mine caps out at 2TiB drives. You may need a new HBA. What is the model?

1 Like

Not exactly. Linux is happy to accept MBR for 4TB if you do logical split before ~2tb. But Windows will fk that up instantly.

So first question would be, what OS your planning to use? And if Windows, then yeah, new HBA probably, like Airstripone said, unless you can upgrade firmware in your current one.

LSi 9217-8i [SATA III]
Rummaging through multiple eDocuments, addressing this literal drop card, or the 2308 controller, hasn’t given any limit against drive size

OK this should work with 4TiB drives. It may be a firmware issue, or the drives. Do they work directly on the SATA controller in windows / Linux?

1 Like

The OS in use, is Linux [20.04]

I was hoping in seeing something for installing newer firmware, anticipating some kinda boot thumb drive sequence…but keep getting tossed around, to links regarding running the program interface [the literal same .pdf file, for terminal commands, etc].

@GoldenAngel1997 - you need a new controller firmware.

There are various versions of basic SCSI read/write commands that can address different maximum number of blocks.

SAS controllers - when working with SATA drives, still work with SCSI commands internally, and then translate these to SATA commands (something called SAT / SCSI-ATA-Translation), so even if a controller can work with bigger sas drives, it might not be able to work with bigger SATA drives - because the old commands that SAT supports don’t have enough bits reserved in the command set to enumerate all the blocks on a large SATA drive.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.