Dream Phones?

I can’t resist.

Basically a Nexus 5X but with easily replaceable battery. Vanilla Android. That’s about it. Simple, really. OH and not made by Huawei or ZTE.

4 Likes

Gemini
https://liliputing.com/2018/03/gemini-pda-handheld-pc-gets-custom-recovery-root.html
GPD Win 2
https://liliputing.com/2017/12/gpd-win-2-handheld-gaming-pc-new-design-6-inch-screen-core-m3-processor.html
GPD Pocket 7
https://liliputing.com/2017/02/gpd-pocket-7-inch-laptop-crowfunding-campaign-starts-feb-15th.html

All the modern ones like the GPD are overpriced

Ideally something that could feasibly be updated, even just a little. But that is a dream for a different reality.

2560x1440p screen, but with an interface that makes sense for it
A real camera lense on the front, 24MP with adjustable IR
A huge battery. :battery:also removable
16gb of ram (lol)
a nvidia gpu
8 core CPU or better
2 tb removable with a tb onboard
Apps that don’t have to be stored internally
Physical slide out KB

Actually apparently I just want a small computer that makes calls

Capitalism

1 Like

A Nexus 5 with Pixel 2’s internals, screen and camera + waterproofing. I would buy it in an instant.

Cameras on phones vary between 99% shit and 96% shit. If you want a decent camera, buy a camera, not a phone. As a tool to collect data any phone camera will do.

My cheap phone is not carrier locked. I only needed to provide an email address and some serial number to get a bootloader unlock. I am running LineageOS and have standby time of 4-6 days because I am not running google apps. Battery life is not a device thing, it is a software thing.

My phone is around 120,- bucks in the US today, which is in fact overpriced since I paid 140,- Euro here in Germany including tax and shipping over a year ago.

If you haven’t found a cheap phone that fits your hand, that is one thing.
But feature wise… cheap phones are just fine.

A non smartphone with insane water/dust/drop protection, Gmail app & Google contact sync, LTE voice and a 10k+ mah battery so I never have to charge it for weeks, nothing else cuz fuck being a phone zombie

Something that doesn’t go into a boot loop after two years of use. (looking at you Nexus 5X)

1 Like

Im still using my iPhone 4S. I changed the battery myself with a $25 kit. It small, strong and can do the internet app shit when I need. I would upgrade for.

• More battery
  • Water proof/resistant.
  • More encrypted.

Librem might have a shot but there first gen laptops where iffy. I will be fine with the Iphone 4S for a few more years. Makes calls, sms, handfree and headphone jack. Can run a intertube app if needed or tomtom, google maps or apple maps. All I need

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews?category=mobilephones

If you’re out away from an outlet taking photos and video on a hike or light camping you aren’t going to drag around a DSLR/M43/APS-C camera and lenses and batteries with me when I can get a good enough camera out of a high end phone for quick shots while also having the ability to do other useful tasks all in a compact and light package.

Some of us actually expect more instead of settling and complaining to those who know what can be done that we should just bend over and take it just because you gave up on being anything other than a mindless consumer.

What now? You or me?

You might want to take a look at a Panasonic GM1, those are cheap used, weigh almost nothing and might actually be smaller than a phone in volume … I’d have to check that though. Put a used 15mm 1.7 Pana-Leica on that and you are set. Overall maybe 400 bucks, will stomp on any phone and since it is running on a separate battery you can do more of those other things … like writing emails or whatever you do … on a hike. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are you dragging other people into your opinion piece now or are you just referring to yourself in third person plural sometimes? Well, whoever “some of you” is, I am sure by buying the expensive stuff you are gonna teach those bastard companies valuable a lesson.

#keepexpecting :+1:

3 Likes

LG V10 is my dream phone.
So my dream phone would be an LG V10 with modernday hardware.

I love the metal strips on the side, i can crack nuts with my V10

:thinking:

1 Like

Librem 5 but a bit better specs.

I want a reboot of the Nokia N900 w/ Android, top specs, larger screen, packet injection capable wifi card.

Or a Galaxy note that isn’t just taller and one I can goddamn root.

Something with good optics just like in N8, under 4.5" (my s4 was like almost the size), like 32GB of emmc, dual sim, sd card slot, ruggerized (so I won’t broke it so easily), I think large battery and that’s it. I really liked how I could throw my N8 back in days while being just pissed off on some things and it just didn’t broke for like 2 years till I tried to get an optic mod on the camera.

What phone are you using? What kind of screen on time are you getting?

Curious because I’m debating on fixing my OP 3T or replacing it.

I’m on a Moto G4 play. No idea about screen on time.

Razer project Linda has my attention. I like the idea of Dex as well. If a pixel phone came out that would Chromebook in a Linda like chassis- money.

Also, stressing on buying one of the few remaining OnePlus 5t’s on Amazon or have to adopt the notch and gestures features of the 6 coming out…