Downloads Kill All Other Internets (for this device)

So I was downloading some games on my XPG Xenia last night and I noticed while the downloads are going, basically everything else that requires the internet just dies.

While downloading

• Steam goes offline, but game download continues. Once game is finished it will not start downloading other games in the queue (probably because Steam is offline and no longer phones home to start next download).
  • Web pages will not load.
  • Other downloads get halted, so it can only download one thing at a time.
  • Same results with Battle.net, so it’s not just a Steam issue.
  • Also noticed while downloading the additional Halo MCC content (in game) it disconnects from Xbox Live as well. So then it only finishes the game it’s working on, then you have to exit, re-launch the game, and start another download.
  • Does not affect other devices, only this laptop.

I get about 24 MBps down, so I throttled Steam to 15 MBps and was still having the same issue. So it doesn’t seem like it’s a bandwidth problem, it’s just killing everything else while there’s any download going.

Is there just like a switch that I need to flick somewhere in settings? Something really simple like that would be cool.

I auto-updated the WiFi driver in Device Manager, and that didn’t fix anything. There are other drivers I’m going to try too.

It’s on Windows 10 1909, and it’s not picking up 2004 or 20H2 automatically. I wonder if I force update it if it’ll work after that.

It’s not a huge deal because I have all the big stuff done now. It’s just going to be super annoying any time there’s an update and a download starts and it kicks me off of whatever I was doing.

I wonder if its similar to this one from yesterday? In his case it looks like it was the config on his switch, but another commenter pointed out an issue with some routers that might be causing your problem?

Random idea, have you checked if the Intel drivers are newer/better than the windows provided ones for your wireless NIC?

Reviews show the NIC in that laptop is an Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200

1 Like

Are you able to ping when it loses connection?
Since the download is still going on, it means that it does not lose connectivity completely.

• How does the net behave on eth?
  • Signal strength?
  • Changing the channel / mode does nothing?
  • Firewall not suddenly blocking traffic?
  • P2P system updates disabled?
  • How many active connections are there at the same time?

Let’s guess:

wifi-connection-drops-when-downloading-power-management-1

xwnr_2-650x449.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.V3D8I1GINO

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
netsh int ip reset reset.txt
netsh winsock reset
netsh advfirewall reset

I observed similar symptoms with duplex-related conflicts on eth. With wifi, similar behavior with very bad drivers …

2 Likes

I ran the auto-detector and updater and that seems to have somewhat helped. Websites still load very slow while downloading, but at least I’m able to load websites at all, where as before it was completely killing everything else. So that’s good.

I’m going to look into it more still. The problem is it’s working like 95% and I’m lazy, so it’s going to take a while to figure it out completely.

Or maybe it is as simple as a driver issue and I’m just stuck with it this way until Intel puts out something better.

Also the Windows Update Assistant would not let me update to 2004 or 20H2, so I’m stuck with 1909 for now. Preeetty anoying.