Download YouTube as mp3, add metadata, and automatically upload to Google Music or other storage

Would anyone be interested in a script like this? I was thinking of using youtube-dl with MusicBrainz and one of the open source Google Play Music clients (they're reverse engineered, so may be a tad buggy, but still) and make a single script to take a YouTube URL and automatically add to your music library with the correct metadata.

If I open-source this, would anyone be interested?

3 Likes

would be lovely to have it, i would try and make the UI similar to grooveshark if at all possible but in a smaller form factor for windows. and keep it free! we love free solid apps that work lol

I was actually going to do one of two things: just a CLI, or a web app with a CLI backend. That way it'd run on anything with Python (maybe even Android)?

YES. I'd happily test it, maybe even contribute something.

This kind of a script would be amazing.

The only thing is I don't know if it's 100% legal...I guess it is though since Google hasn't sued youtube-mp3.com

100% illegal right away. Download music from Youtube is like downloading it from any other pirate site. If there's something you want to listen to use Spotify, for example. I try to not even listen to music from Youtube and use Spotify to give to the musician as much back as I can, other than buying CDs or digital copies.

1 Like

Okay well never mind. I'd rather not break the law even if it is under an open-source license. lol

What is under open source license?

What exactly makes it illegal? Especially if the artist uploads the music. Is there a clause in the ToS or something?

illegal yes but i would like to see this project through. maybe remove the mp3 part?

Makes it illegal the fact that Youtube itself it's not giving you the option to freely download it with a nice button but you have to use thrid party software or services to get it. Listen to it from Youtube is not illegal, wether the artist or someone else loaded the music there, downloading it is totally different. DT have uploaded their new album entirely on Youtube but they still sell CDs, for example. Why would they do that if download the songs from Youtube is free and legal since they uploaded them?
Also the 9th paragraph of the Youtube ToS is pretty clear about what you CAN'T do with materials on their site and download is a part of that.