Doubting sanity: Multiple ASUS ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI with Power ON/Reboot/Standby issues :(

Short update about no updates:

Currently I’m using the ethernet adapter in PCIEX16_2 from the CPU and nothing in PCIEX16_3 from the X570 chipset and the system has been running absolutely stable including numerous S3 sleep-wake cycles.

Haven’t heard anything back from ASUS’ tech support, but I get that might be due to the holiday season.

Haha, had a good laugh today, ASUS’ support stated that the reason for the S3 crashes is that the ethernet adapter is only getting x4 and not x8 from the chipset. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This board is a grade A pain in the ass.

Same issues and quite frankly the only workaround I’ve used is it literally never shut it down ://////

1 Like

For anyone continuing to have sleep issues with the ProArt X570 Motherboard we found that our issues with sleep seemed to appear anytime a SATA device was connected to the motherboard (either DVD Writer or Hard Drive). Without a SATA device connected to the motherboard we had no sleep issues.

We solved the sleep issues with a SATA device connected by setting the Windows Power option “AHCI Link Power Management” to HIPM+DIPM. The AHCI Link Power Management is normally hidden and can be surfaced by a registry change. Since we can’t post links here, simply google the following: “How to Add or Remove Link State Power Management from Power Options”

Joseph Worrall
Lakewood Communications

3 Likes

Is the motherboard good other than that?

@BroadBandElf

I’m not having any issues besides the “S3-crashing-if-ethernet-adapter-is-in-x4-slot-from-X570-chipset” stuff since UEFI version 0504 from December 2021. But I would consider this a catastrophic issue and would change the motherboard model if it persists with future UEFI versions.

@foxcomm

Thank you very much for your input! While in my case Win 10 21H2 is currently on an NVMe RAID1 I’m also using multiple Micron 5300 PRO SATA SSDs (latest firmware version D3MU401), will try operation without them when I can shutdown the system the next time.

@Dabidy

Sorry to hear that you’re also among the ASUS ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI’s victims.

For me the most frustrating part is the incompetent ASUS tech support, they only say to not use the x8 ethernet adapter in a x4 slot, ignoring all statements that this cannot be an issue causing an S3 crash (since the slot can deliver enough power) and only causing reduced ethernet performance at most.

At least my threads lead to new users signing up for the forum, so my suffering hasn’t been completely in vain… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yeah their support team is a joke.

Currently at a point where I’ve taken out the CMOS battery, unplugged and replugged all the connections and have tried to update the bios but once it completes the system won’t restart and just stay stuck on.

F

We are using Intel X550 Dual 10GB NICs in our ProArt X570 boards without a problem. These are PCIe x4.

Joseph Worrall
Lakewood Communications

I had expected ASUS to at least properly look into my reports since I was able to confirm it with multiple units of the motherboard and the XL710 QDA2 ethernet adapter but they’re just ignoring it.

I have been using these ethernet adapters for several years now with various Intel/AMD platforms and have never seen this kind of S3 crash behavior with them, even when doing “extreme” stuff like throttling them down to x1.

The only thing that comes close was a x8 Adaptec RAID adapter from around 2010 that prevented the system from booting in general with an error message during POST that it needs more PCIe lanes.

My ASUS ROG Strix x570-i does that. I turned off Standby mode, but will be interested if you find a solution.

I have an older ASUS motherboard that does that intermittently. After far too much research and experimentation, I found that unplugging USB devices solved the issue. I moved all USB devices except for keyboard and mouse to a single hub for easy disconnection.

I agree that it is annoying.

@foxcomm

Removing all SATA SSDs didn’t change anything in my case.

Also, if I remember correctly you can “force” the Link Power Management to be permanently disabled no matter the OS if you set the SATA port to be hot-pluggable in the UEFI (can be done on the ProArt X570-CREATOR WIFI).

Thinking about this gave me PTSD flashbacks from early SATA SSDs with “SandForce” controllers that were unreliable AF and disabling LPM helped in some cases.

Did you also try this or only via settings within the OS?

We only tested changing the “AHCI Link Power Management” in the Windows 11 O/S which solved our S3 crash issues when set to HIPM+DIPM.

Joseph Worrall
Lakewood Communications

Yay, there seems to be positive progress!

Beta BIOS 0602 has been released (with AGESA 1206B) and now I can install the x8 ethernet adapter in the X570 chipset PCIe x4 slot AND the system can enter and wake from S3 standby/sleep.

BUT there is still something off: The power LED goes completely dark in S3 standby/sleep instead of blinking/flashing which would be the expected behavior with ASUS/ASRock motherboards.

For anyone reading who has issues similar to these, but removing sata drives doesn’t solve the problem, these symptoms sound a LOT like what happens when you use an out of spec DP cable that has pin 20 connected. Depending on your hardware a monitor can backfeed power to your PC, which among other things can cause your PC to not be able POST during a cold boot.

Might be worth a look.

AGESA issue. Check your bios bersion and other users reports. Had these same probpems with my aorus x470 board and a 3900x it wasn’t updated for.

@wizarddata

Regarding display hardware configuration not mentioned in the opening posting I’m using a DisplayPort 1.4 Dell UP2718Q connected to the 3060 with a 2 m/6 ft. StarTech DP14MM2M and a 0.5 m/20" DP-DP cable bundled with the motherboard to loop another DisplayPort signal from the dGPU into the motherboard for its Thunderbolt 4 controller.

While I don’t have any issues at all with the DisplayPort signal (3840x2160/60 Hz/10 bpc RGB/HDR) I don’t have a proper DisplayPort cable tester to verify the cables’ quality.

Ever since the Beta BIOS 0602 I haven’t had a single S3 crash, haven’t done any reboot or shutdown in the last few days.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.