Double GTX 950 or one GTX 970

Fury outperforms 980 in 9 out of 10 games, the 10-th game being project cars, where 950 almost beats the fury... I don't know what are you on about...
To the author: @MisteryAngel said 15 times already, 970 and 390 are pretty much equal, so get what's cheaper on promotion or something... Both of them will give you about the same experience...

Sorry my mistake I thought from memory it was the otherway round, just asking! :)

Well that wasn't the right thread

Anyways, Jayz's review, it actually keeps up with the 980 and Fury almost, though I think it nearly costs the same

Actually, it's 10$ cheaper than the cheapest 980 i could find...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr9390x8gbd5adhe

Fury already uses less power than a 390x stock, and when overclocking to gain the headroom on a Grenda/hawaii chip I really don't see a point.
460 dollars is pretty nice, but still not worth it imo simply from how Fiji overclocks without changing thermals anything.

I think it's mostly if someone were betting on DX12, since the Fury cards don't seem to gain much at the moment, while the standard cards gain a hefty amount of performance.

Lets say you whanted to play games that have absurd vram useage like GTA or shadow of mordor that 8gbs of vram can realy help and it seams to be a trend lately to use absurd amounts of vram in newer games + as allready mentioned the asynchronous compute in DX12 seams to be a big lover of AMD's GCN core architecture

Fiji is much newer, and I still expect to see drivers roll out that improve performance unlike earlier GCN parts.

1 Like

Big thanks to all of you for your help! I have just superficial knowledge, therefor is your advice very useful :)

well to be fair, the whole 3.5GB GTX970 vram gate, yes it is an issue.
but till now i have only seen 1 particular game which the vram issue was occuring.
If i look at any other benchmarks 1080p, 1440p and 4k, these cards still go pretty much neck to neck in most benchmarks i have seen.
I dont think that the 8GB vram is that much of a benefit.
the 390 it self, is not realy powerfull enough to utilize it anyway.

still from my personal preference, i would personaly still grab a 390.
because i allways had good experiances with AMD cards.
But in terms of performance the 390 and GTX970 are very close,
it depends from game to game which one is out performing the other.
and the fact the Nvidia lied about the factual specs of the GTX970 basicly, makes me personaly feel less comfortable buying a GTX970.
but this of course doesnt change the fact that the GTX970 is a decent performing card with a very good performance per watt value.