Dota 2 now has Vulkan Support

Even though I think I'm the only one here that plays dota regularly

*kept getting 403 errors when trying to create topic with the link, odd.

1 Like

Well DUH... Steam tries to be on every API, every platform and everywhere. It's like google. Like it or not, there is no other way.
So of course they will be pushing Vulkan... It's just good business for them.

Well they also seem to want to get off of windows, even though they've done nothing to update steamOS and make it on par with windows in terms of features

Microsoft is helping them alot with the whole windows store and what not...
I think they are doing what they did with HL2 at the time...
Nothing, nothing, nothing and then - BAM... Here is Half Life 2 out of nowhere...
So my guess is - Nothing, Nothing and then BAM - Here is DX12-Vulkan-Openwhatever compatible OS with large library.

Nice! I am playing Heroes but maybe Dota2 being on Vulkan will be a reason for Blizzard to start working.

I don't think blizzard has ever cared remotely about FOSS stuff

Bwahahaha, Blizzard just made a trillion $$$ from console sales of their Diablo and Overwash games. They will not even care for Vulkan...

I think Valve overestimated the readiness of Linux based vendor driver support, they can afford to make mistakes like this so I'm sure they will resolve SteamOS at some-point. They should add a option in the installer to have SteamOS as a desktop replacement also instead of stuffing SteamBigScreen and other interfaces down your throat on bootup.

1 Like

Any benchmarks? I odn't imagine that it is hard to play, but I want to see on low end hardware just how it compares Vulkan on Linux vs Windows vs DX11 vs OpenGL (or whatever else it might support).

I'd imagine those mid team clashes to ease up, otherwise it should aid crappy CPU the most and if it removes stutter from really old ones thats good.

Think Dota 2 could be made easily into benchmark with "Space Invaders" type of all heroes holding the line vs. infinite creep horde what simply doesnt end, ever "for OC purposes".

..wonder if any laptops will finally melt as I have been waiting that to happen with DX12, aka CPU being stable 80-90% and fps freely roaming in hundreds, its like converting video. ..DX12 havent simply gotten into popular games, but maybe now with Dota 2 Vulkan! :D

Think Dota 2 could be made easily into benchmark with "Space Invaders" type of all heroes holding the line vs. infinite creep horde what simply doesnt end, ever "for OC purposes".

There is an in-game cosmetic for tinker's (Hero - not sure if you play dota or not so just in case) march of the machines that cripples my graphics card (r9 270) which would be good for OC purposes because the creep models aren't that graphically intensive.

You could easily make a custom map that's built for benchmarking the game, but it's really not a hard game to run

I expected to read "Unreal Engine 4 supports Vulkan now" but that is better news!