Dope Camera Tech

First off: A camera sub category would be nice. Just a thought.

Now, I just watched MKBHD (and shamelessly stole the title) play around with that One Plus that can black out the glass in front of the camera. But it can do something else, too.

Timestamped:

Now think about what that could do in a proper camera, what it would mean for flash photography and videography in bright sunlight.
I want that. Like … yesterday! … Gimme! NOW!

Seriously, having that right on the sensor and let the camera control it would solve so many videographers constant nightmares… And I could shoot at f/1.4 at noon on a clear, sunny day and drag down the sky as much as I want at almost any shutter speed.

3 Likes

I’d be curious at how expensive that would be to actually implement. Because this tech has been around for a while albeit at a large scale so I wonder if there have been (/ will be?) significant cost impacts to putting something like this onto the camera sensor.
I’m not really a photographer but I would be super excited to see the shots and different effects that could be done with this!

The self-dimming rear mirrors in cars use this, and there are definetly bigger dimming “sheets”

Good point I have seen these for years in buildings and some people use them as privacy glass for their modern all glass box homes, they just flip a light switch and the building goes black.

I wonder if this is the opposite of the OLED problem, where we just can’t scale it down easily enough to do volume or comoditiy stuff with it.