Doom, WADs and ICO files? Doom-head help wanted

So I’m looking for the .exe for Doom in the installation for Doom 3 BFG Edition then I realized Doom exists as a WAD file. Same with II. I just want the ICO for the game. I thought Photoshop would be able to convert an image I found of what I believe is the Doom icon that was found on the game’s original EXE. I was even thinking of unpacking the WAD but it seeems like it’d be a headache.

The wad files won’t contain the icon file. Not sure about the bfg edition but I would assume its using a modern doom executable like gzdoom or whatever, the wads are just the game data.

Hmm, well all I want is that damn ICO so I can add it to my Doom profile for my G910. :grinning: But I can’t get ahold of it. I don’t actually know what the official ICO file looks like. Any Doom heads?

So, are we looking for the icon for Doom (the original), Doom 3 BFG, or Doom (the new one)?

For OG Doom i’m pretty sure this was the icon: vista_icon_for_the_ultimate_do_by_jon_hill987
I downloaded that some time ago and am pretty sure it was of a Icon Pack from Deviantart. I could find it for credit, but it will take some time.

Same for Doom 3 BFG:
doom_3__bfg_edition_by_pooterman-d5i2lev

In both cases it’s been some time since i installed the originals, so memory could be playing tricks for me here. At least those are the ones i use now…

1 Like

Yeah, the ones for Doom and Doom II: Hell on Earth. I have BFG Edition and I point the Logitech software towards it and it grabs the icon from the .EXE. Simple enough.

I started playing GZDoom and it’s SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! :drooling_face:

The full mouse controls, looking anywhere you want is AMAZING! Too bad about the perspective shift though. IF only that was fixed. Oh well. Still impressed by how damn fun those games are and always will be!

So how can I get the actual ICO files, though? I really wanna perfect my G910 profiles. I’m a little obsessive over them. I put a lot of time into them and make them look like they were really designed with each game in mind. They’re actually really impressive, if I don’t say so myself. Seriously, i’d like to show off the profile for Mass Effect 1. Holy shit, it looks good. Like the entire UI of the game. Nailed the colours and everything.

ANYWAY! Yeah, I guess i’ll look for ICOs, unless someone can point me towards them. But I still need to find Doom IIs original Icon.

Damn, I thought Photoshop was the be all end all of image software. It can do VTFs, but not ICOs? Disappointing.

Those are much too high res to be the original icons. Doom might actually predate icons, I don’t remember. I have a vague memory of the icon being a cacodemon but I don’t know. I guess you could find a download of the original game, or the shareware version.