DOOM [2016] Wont Launch Properly

So I wanted to play DOOM today and to my amazement... It wont Launch. This is what happens.

As you can see when I play the game my monitor wigs out. I can still hear sounds but no visual. I've tried reinstalling to no avail.
Only doom does this. All other games Fullscreen / windowed work fine.
Any Ideas?

Reinstall graphics driver? You said in the lounge that this was the only game that had this issue, but this is also the only game (I presume) that you're playing with Vulkan/OpenGL, so maybe your Vulkan/OpenGL install has went sour?

I was using 16.4 for the longest time.
I updated to 17.7.1 now.
Nothing changed, Other games work fine, Doom, Same issue

I assume you already did the "verify integrity of game files" in steam right? Probably a dumb question

I mean.... Let me check the freshly installed files..

Can't hurt even if it probably is redundant

2 Likes

On a Hawaii based GPU by chance?

Pretty sure he's still on a 290

That could be his problem. 290/390 bugs the fuck out with ReLive drivers.

Does some wacky shit at random.

Files Verified.

Yep r9-290.

Pretty sure im using the same windows install from when i played the game 9months ago Same driver 16.4 back then

DDU and reinstall.

If that doesn't fix it. DDU and roll back to pre ReLive.

Also grab the latest. 17.1.1 isn't the most up to date AFAIK.

1 Like

on lastest 17.7, 16.4 was no different

Ah alright.

Hmm. Honestly no clue then.

I'd say it was a GPU dying but in only one game... Odd.

Isn't there some repair thing for windows? I wonder if 9 months of cumlative windows updates has fucked something up that used to work

There are cases where one game needs more voltage than others. In gamersnexus undervolting vega piece there was one game that needed like 40mv more than any other to stay stable, and I wonder if DOOM would be a similar case where it was the anomaly program that needed more than all others. Idk at this point I'm just spittballing.

1 Like

Perhaps. Especially on Vulkan. Really let's an AMD card stretch it's legs. So could be...

Also uses a shit ton of VRAM so if that was faulty...

Honestly no clue lol

1 Like

Just did DDU, installing new drivers now....

Also F.Lux might have something to do with it? Doubt it. I recall using the program last time I played the game.

Scratch that. This windows install is new as of 1/1/17...
¯_( ͠° ͟ʖ ͠° )_/¯

Do you have any other Vulkan or OpenGL titles? I wonder if something like F.Lux might have issue with games that aren't DirectX and could be the reason that it doom would have issue.

I'm just looking for differences between DOOM and other games at this point as possible causes for issue. Dunno any others besides it being Vulkan...

DDU done,

New drivers skiping ReLive Installed.

F.Lux Disabled.

Not working, no difference...

Wtf?!

There is only one fix left.

Reinstall windows.

Unplug all your current drives, install win 10 without a key on any harddrive you have lying around, as well as steam, doom, and the amd drivers. See if it works. If it does, then you know windows is to blame. (shocker)

1 Like