Don't neglect the SSD

The only thing that matters about motherboards is power delivery.
If you're going to run at stock, anything is good enough, if you're going to run 10+ core xeons and overclock stuff heavily, then you want something with good power delivery.

Of course features matter as well, but you know what I mean "edit"

1 Like

You can't completely discount HDDs just yet. A NAS high end about 400-500 dollars for 4TB will out pace the consumer end SSDs IE (Intel, Samsung, Corsair, Kingston etc..). Why, because you have to take into account the random read and write and streaming of data coming through. It won't beat the enterprise level SSDs though. Also double check the IOPS. I forget which HGST drive a friend of mine has picked up. It however does have a higher IOPS than a consumer end SSD such as the Samsung Evo drive. You still lastly have to take into account the cable line being used. The limitation of SATA 6Gb/s currently will be the bottleneck.

Before anyone says anything, yes the M.2 or PCI-Express SSDs that have come out will stomp any drive connected via SATA in terms of speed including the higher end HDDs and SSDs.

Those are my thoughts, I await my punishment of how wrong I am.

This is not true. Boards like the MSI G43 are still in circulation and these are known to burn out on stock voltage 8350's. People still buy these boards and they still are not up to par. The same thing thing is coming back to intel with skylake. They are moving the voltage regulator back on board and then lower end boards will no longer be capable of handling some processors. This is not the case with Haswell and Broadwell, which Linus's video was based off.

True, I find it a bit interesting how they removed it.
Currently the power delivery of the motherboard delivers a constant voltage of around 1.8 1.9 volts to the cpu, then it regulates it down to whatever it needs.
Having it so close to the cpu (on the cpu) makes it much more stable, less resistance thus less vdrop under load.

Might cost some efficiency though, but I'm sure they make it back again with how well one can control the voltages.

Some motherboards don't have the mosfet cooling required for the high TDP AMD chips it seems, if you thought the 8350 was bad, just take a glance at the 5ghz models, 200+w TDP is no joke, hardly any motherboards can handle it.

Cheaping out on a motherboard is such a bad idea. My UD3 AM3+ 990FX Gigabyte board has a limitation and possible missing instruction sets from the processor and using the South Bridge instead of a Marvell storage controller. Thus my read speeds are actually going to be slower from the SSD. I could get one for my MoBo, but that is an external addon only. This board isn't a bad board, it is entry level for gaming on the higher end, but still an entry level board.

Second besides my above example, there's a reason for the pricing differences in boards and hardware in general. The materials, manufacturing processes used, do matter. Think about this for a moment. The capacitors job on a board is to store electricity and then discharge it back out. Imagine using your nice i7 and pushing it really hard on say a biostar or asrock board. Goes good for maybe a year so. Then one of the capacitors on that board puff up slowly, then there is a voltage irregularity. Several weeks later your i7 just dies, because it has had an over voltage. So don't tell me any board is fine, when I've had experience with the differences between cheapo shit boards and getting quality boards. Also yes gold does matter, it is a better conductor of electricity. Just thought I add that last part.

Gold conducts worse than copper, they use it on contacts because it doesn't bond with oxygen "rust" like copper does, its soft so its also often used in IC connections and in silicon chips because it handles thermal stress well, doesn't suddenly break over time.

Buying a mid-high end motherboard is a good idea if you want to keep the thing for 3+ years.
My old striker 2 NSE asus board is still running strong, no signs of age, and its ancient considering its a 2008 era board, nvidia chips set and all, running it overclocked 24/7 since i got it.
It really proves that a good motherboard can last a long while,(Funny thing I noticed when fiddling around with the north bridge heatsink was that the TIM had a plastic piece covering it, looks like they forgot to remove it from the factory, so it had to push all that heat through plastic first, really amazed on how that chipset didn't die after all those years of overheating)

Anyhow, I put it to rest after jumping on a x99 board + cpu for a good deal.
TBH in most games I don't notice much of a difference ;)

Derailing intensifies.

1 Like
  1. Depends. I'd worry about the CPU, GPU, PSU, and Mobo 1st if I'm doing anything more than browsing Youtube on the PC. Also, I wouldn't advise people to skimp out on mobos and PSUs too much. I have an Athlon X2 3500+ that was running stable for years. The PSU finally went out, so I decided to replace it with a cheapo generic PSU that I salvaged from a retired computer repair guy. Thing blew out after a month, damaging the HDD and half the I/O ports in the process.

2. SSDs have decreased in price per GB much faster than HDDs did, so I'd say maybe even terabyte SSDs under $100 within 5 or so years.

3. Depends on how much money you spend on it. The cheap Kingston 32GB M.2 SSD in my laptop died after a month's use.

4. What type of SSD do you want? Sata? PCI-E? M.2?

5. As far as the Mac books go, I was surprised that a lot of them don't come with SSDs. "You mean you paid $1000 for a 5400rpm hdd??". Still, I understand when people who aren't so computer literate want a device that they know will be stable. Your time is worth money (or it's time better spent studying) so why cheap out and waste it on a device that you are going to struggle to use?

6. My laptop was around 7 seconds, but then the SSD died (after a month!) :(. Got a larger and faster SSD coming into tomorrow though :).

Agreed. You have to research a bit if you're short on money with AMD boards. I suspect (never had an AMD board before!) new chipset mobos are ok though (970 and up)

Some of the 970 boards still aren't capable of taking 8350 voltage safely and even a couple revisions of 990fx board's aren't either, so I'd rather not put the blanket statement on it.

Well said, if you invest in something proper it will last.
The only motherboard I had to fail was an old Abit vp6 (now defunct) from 2001 I think. It popped a few caps (in his own ass) when I was testing dual cpu on a mistreated board. I have 3 more VP6 that worked perfectly with many drives and dual cpu sometime OCd to 1.15 throughout the years.

We're not derailing much with this new reply system, but reply to my post not the thread. Thread's pretty universal so we can talk about cheap vs high end mobos.

Fark, where did I get that idea about gold. Thank you for the correction. On the idea of Investment @anon5205053 might have a different idea. Derpy do link. https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/so-my-friend-went-with-amd-for-his-budget-gaming-rig-why-would-anyone-even-consider-amd-cpus-anymore/78591/46?u=screamapillar

I'd love a PCIe SSD but they cost a fortune. So I'll probably get SATA and cry over the less than godlike speeds.

Don't know the hate on macs. My Mac book pro boots up in 4 seconds. Yes Apple is overpriced pieces of junk but it boots faster than my Desktop. My desktop doesn't have a SSD. I am a mechanical hard drive kind of guy =)

Not sure why everyone is always comparing boot speeds, anything under 40 seconds is good enough for me imo.
Mac hate though mostly has its root around apple itself, how strict and locked down everything is which frustrates power users.

First time I've ever compared boot speeds online is this thread XD

And yes, my hate for Apple products is the crap price to performance you get when you buy their uber expensive, often weak hardware as well as the software being locked down like a state penitentiary. There's plenty of reasons Apple itself is worth hating, besides the products.

Dose disabling the animation shorten the boot time?

Negligible.

On my slow laptop where the cpu might be a bottleneck it does help a little bit but nothing scientific

Yea, I just disabled mine, it was a sew seconds better from cold

Certainly true for iOS, but OSX isn't locked down for power users (it is for normal users, though). OSX has a terminal with which you can tweak and change everything, it's Unix/BSD based after all.

For example yesterday I wrote a bash script that runs in the background and opens a program when my mouse gets connected and closes it when the mouse gets disconnected. Took me 14 lines of code in 2 files and 1 terminal command to get it to run.

So I think it's largely a misconception of people that never really looked into the OS.

Yay for terminals, but it's beside the point. That's still hampered access. You can third party tweak windows out of the box. And Linux is customization king, with or without terminal use. Apple is tight fisted, even with the more loose things like you mentioned.