Don't Be Too Disappointed... Mac Help

Ok so long story short I am about to receive an older model Mac Book for free as the owner bought it second hand and the person they bought it from remotely locked it with the Find My Device feature. I do not know the model yet, but my question is, is there a way to install linux on the Mac Book while its locked?

While its locked? No.

I am not super comfortable telling you how to break the lock either. I don't mean any offense, but I hope you understand that if the original owner locked this computer than there is probably a reason for it.

I hope you are being cautious and skeptical about the origin of this laptop.

I will tell you that it is an EFI lock. You can do your own research from there.

1 Like

I know for a fact that the laptop was purchased legally, I know the person who bought it second hand personally and I was told about the Craigslist listing they found for it. But thanks anyway.

Like I said, do your own research. I do not mean that in a sarcastic way either. There are tons of resources out there.

Plus, I am not even sure if we can discus methods of breaking/**BYPASSING** (cough cough wink wink) passwords on the forum anyways.

Im way ahead of you man, can a firmware lock be implemented remotely on a mac?

I am pretty sure they can only remotely lock the EFI.

I have never run into any hard drive locks that were on the firmware level.

well cool, I've already got a way to fix my issue when I receive the laptop, I'll probably just install openSUSE on it and be on my merry way with my first actual laptop. I've only ever built desktops so it will be nice to have computing power on the go.

I would do a clean install of OSX and then dual boot linux for a while.

Macbooks tend to throw linux some weird problems, and if you don't have OSX on it, you wont have any sort of safety net if things go bad.

Once you feel like you have a good stable linux system, THEN do a clean install.

Trust me. I have done this once or twice. LOL.

1 Like

I'll take your advice on it, thanks for the help.