Donate via Patreon or Floatplane - which one charges you the least fees?

Hi you three,

Doing a great job - let’s get that out the way :+1:t2:

I was just wondering how best to donate, which is best for you?

Cheers,
Chris (UK)

P.S. Appreciate you may not be able to answer this.

I would say that floatplane is better, as it allows a fellow tech tuber to grow a competitor to YT.

As for % side they arent really comparable as they dont do the same thing. Gonna guess Patreon is more profitable, but could be wrong.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, much appreciate :+1:

This is the official list of ways to support Level1Techs.

Floatplane isn’t on that list.

They can be glacially slow at updating their actual site, I see the FloatPlane logo showing up at the end of their newly edited videos.

3 Likes

That page doesn’t really get updates all that often unfortunately. They’ve been calling for Floatplane for a while now though during the news and other videos so I don’t see why it has to be on there to be a “valid” support option?

Anyway though one thing that annoys me a bit about Floatplane is that nowhere on their site does it say how the registration/subscription and all that works… do I have to get an account first and only then see all the channels and subscribe individually or… their entire page is a one pager with their mission statement and that’s it :expressionless: Doesn’t even say anything about prices :confused:

2 Likes

Exactly this. Seeing these types of websites, I have an instinctive reflex to close tab. Perhaps they want to be so elitist and mysterious … In any case, I am not interested in such an approach. For me, this plane is under water, not on water. :wink:

2 Likes

You make an account on Floatplane with no cost. After you can subscribe to channels for $$$. L1T only has one tier($5). Other channels have a variety of tiers.

Poor approach, nothing attracts attention like a blank page and requiring an account to just see the offer.
Well … I understand that this is how it is supposed to be, so elite and only for very willing and interested fanatics who follow the creator. :wink:

The need to create an account just to see what is available and at what prices … absolute abstraction. But it’s not my business, if they agree with the numbers at the end of the year, it’s ok :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey! Youtube if free… Have fun there :wink:

Their front page is complete garbo

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they are intentionally keeping floatplane low key-ish.
It’s open, and operating, but they are not taking in lots of suppliers and doing promotion/advertising.
I presumed they were tying to get it stable first, before scaling it up?

1 Like

Yeah missing a ton of features, the not tracking how far you are in etc is fucking crippling