Does ZFS need PLP SSD's?

ZFS has no special need for PLP. In almost every case it’s going to be superior as it makes having redundancy and sending snapshots somewhere else easier.

I think the idea of SSD’s truly bricking themselves on power loss has been conflated with a similar looking but much easier to resolve issue. Basically cutting power without a clean shutdown can put the drive into a bad state (or possibly protected one, but that’s giving drive manufacturers too much credit imo), where it’ll refuse to show up on next boot or plug-in. I’ve had this happen with my samsung SATA and NVMe drives a few times, both in a regular system but especially when trying to use them as external drives in a USB enclosure, which was a very disappointing endeavor.

The solution is to power cycle them, which brings them back with no loss of data, besides whatever wasn’t fully synced yet. See the following for instructions: Fix your dead SSD with the power cycle method - Dave Farquhar

Summarized

1. Connect to power (not data) only. Alternatively letting the drive sit at bios setup screen also seems to work. Turn on the power and leave the power on for 30 minutes.

2. After 30 minutes, power down or pull the power cable.

3. Wait 30 seconds, then restore power.

4. Let the drive sit powered on for another 30 minutes.

5. Power down again, then wait 30 seconds.

1 Like