Does using the Japanese definition of Anime make you more or less Weeaboo?

Japanese people say all animation is anime, even if it's Shrek, Rudolph the Red Noise Reindeer or even the stop motion effects in Puppet Master could be considered 「アニメ」 by the Japanese definition.

I would say less, even though you're staying true to the Japanese definition, it's still staying true to reality and you're admitting anime is fucking cartoons and you don't put Japanese cartoons on a pedestal or animation superiority like most Weebs that say "anime is not cartoons, it's better than cartoons". I swear, Weebs can be worse than Apple Fanboys "It's not a PC, it's a Mac".

So, thoughts?

4 Likes

The fact that you're overthinking it this much makes you way more of a weeb than using one definition or another.

/thread

11 Likes

That's like me saying

"I like furries that are drawn with the ANIME style, so they're KEMONO, NOT FURRIES, so I'm NOT a FURRY >:3"

it just doesn't really help. It actually usually just makes it much much worse. Generally, the less you talk about Japan and Japanese things, the less of a weeaboo you are.

That makes me a basket case.

2 Likes

my favorite anime:

Weeb

3 Likes

I think the more you put Japan on a pedestal, the more weeb you are.

Like the Katana fanboys for example

Edit, I think it was this one:

3 Likes

So the question is if using the literal definition of a word makes you a "weeaboo"?
A: no, your're using the word for what it is. of course context matters and if your not conversing with japanese people it is natural to get misunderstood.
B: Sodomize with a baton whomever got the fucking word "weeaboo" trending. For fuck sake, it was already weird being caled otaku and now anime fans like me have to dead with another stupid word...

lmao you're giving me the weebie-jeebies with that rhetoric, Naruto.

1 Like

The word of 「オタク」 ("Otaku") isn't exactly a badge of honour in Japan either...

Neither 「オタク」or "nerd" have had historically good reputation. Although "nerd" has been getting better with nerd entertainment going mainstream.
Maybe we should unite with a consensus to call 「阿呆」(あほう)immediately to anyone who uses "weeaboo".

당신은 종교가 필요한 바보입니다.

eheh, i dont have that font installed so i only see gibberish...google translate however tells me that is korean.

1 Like

you could call them 引きこもりニート["hikikomori niito" or "shut-in NEETs"], but that would not, strictly speaking, be true... Although, the general perception of オタク and 引きこもり are the same.

But being a fan of anime doesn't make you an "otaku" in Japan by any stretch of the imagination, given how prolific anime is. It's literally everywhere and everyone watches it to some extent. EVERYTHING is made cute in Japan. what makes you an otaku is an obsession with anything in particular, in the case of animation, having multiple bookcases full of manga and anime volumes and/or having shelves full of plastic figurines and a body pillow of your waifu.

My favourite N.E.E.T are the ones who dress up like this:

4 Likes

2 Likes

**** anime.

2 Likes

why?

This is the most autistic thread I've seen this week

I don't know how autism is suppose to be an insult. There are some advantages. It makes as much to say "that's so bipolar", would that mean they euphoria after an emotional meltdown?