Does this OC sound right?

but i should always add about .4 to whatever the vcore reads in CPU-Z?

Justs look at what you set in the bios and look at what the average voltage is in CPU-Z. (at stock first of course). Then work from there.

Thanks for all the help man. So far my hottest core is only at 49C.

I jinxed myself...Now I'm at 52 C :(

lol my temps are in the 30's ;o

I live in FL where my apartment is like 78 degrees F so that might have something to do with it. Anyways, I've been reading online and most of the sites say don't let the q6600 go above 60 C and the max temp for the CPU is 71C.

yea, but i like to stay as cool as possible. i don't like being over 50ºC EVER. (it's 43ºF outside right now)

Yeah, normally you'll never get that high. I usually stay under 45 degrees even when gaming. My GPU goes to 55 at the max as well. I'd say, just keep your case well ventilated and only clock it to about 3.2GHz. Depending on what you do, I don't think you'd need 4 threads running at 3.6GHz unless you do a lot of raw video rendering and such. Who knows, even 3GHz might be enough. I underclock my E8400 sometimes since all I do is listen to music, browse the internet and use AIM. Occasionally I play games on the weekends though. But since I got lazy of under/overclocking, and the Gigabye Energy saver thing doesn't work on Windows 7, I just keep it at stock.

We'll I'm going to push it to 3.2 and leave it there. Maybe run some more Prime 95 next weekend. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll report back later on in the week with the final results of my OC.

Your welcome! Hope it works out dude.

AKIMbO wrote 57 minutes ago »

Ok...running Prmie 95 right now as I'm typing this (thanks for the link and OC'in guide ambelial). How long do I need to run Prime 95 before i can say my OC is legit?

No problem. you can ask anyone here if you have any questions to aks.

This was my message to Sn1per

"You see, running prime95 is like buying a new car. When you go to a car dealer, they will let you test drive the car for an hour. For a whole 60 minutes of driving, there is no way to tell if your car is stable. You will find some defects after a few weeks.

As for prime95, back in the day 24 hours of prime95 was considered stable. If you are going to read the readme that comes with it, it says 6 hours. Some people get BSoD in 7 hours of prime95. It is hard to tell if your system is stable. The point is there is no 95%-100% stabled system even the branded computer manufacturers like Dell, Sony, HP and so on... stock clocks will crash eventually or give you BSoD. "

So i've been running Prime 95 for about 1 hour at it keeps on freezing my computer on me...my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive. What's happening. Is this Prime's way of telling me my OC is unstable and thus needs more voltage or what?

not sure.. that may be the case. i believe that happened to me when i used OCCT with a 3.2ghz overclock and then i eventually got a BSOD.

Unstable oc then ;)

I dont think I will ever get higher than 3.8ghz on this chipset. (e8400)

Last time I tried clocking ram + cpu I smelled burnt plastic 0_o

AKIMbO wrote 7 hours ago »

So i've been running Prime 95 for about 1 hour at it keeps on freezing my computer on me...my mouse and keyboard become unresponsive. What's happening. Is this Prime's way of telling me my OC is unstable and thus needs more voltage or what?

You just answered your own question.

That is because your CPU needs more voltage for that certain clock speed.

Put some more voltage 1 step at the time and run prime95. Also, try to grab a stopped watch and time it. All you have to do is find the sweet spot.

GreenSLi wrote 12 hours ago »

Unstable oc then ;)

I dont think I will ever get higher than 3.8ghz on this chipset. (e8400)

Last time I tried clocking ram + cpu I smelled burnt plastic 0_o

dude, what the fuck were you smoking at that time?!! lmao

hottest core idling around 38-39 C

>idling

>38-39C

You fail.

So I've passed Prime95. I'm at 3.15ghz with 1.35 vcore. My temps at idle are around 38-39C and on load the hottest core got 56C for a few seconds and then backed down to 54C. So what do you think of my first OC?

AKIMbO wrote 1 minute ago »

So I've passed Prime95. I'm at 3.15ghz with 1.35 vcore. My temps at idle are around 38-39C and on load the hottest core got 56C for a few seconds and then backed down to 54C. So what do you think of my first OC?

impressive

keep it under 60C and you're good.