Does Microsoft DreamSpark/Imagine Still Exist?

Here’s an easy one for you guys, am occupied at the office and can’t really figure this out right now…

I’ve got a friend that we’re putting together a PC for. He needs a copy of Windows. Now, he has an .edu account through med school which is the same way I got all my dozens of Windows Server/etc licenses, but that was back in the days that Microsoft DreamSpark or whatever they branded it as still existed.

I see that this -

- exists, but the front pages makes it sound like they’re giving you $100 of credit towards Azure cloud services which is goddamn useless if that’s actually what they’re doing now.

Anyone aware of whether or not MSoft still hands out Win10 ‘Education’ version licenses to students/institutions these days?

Yes they do. It isn’t the normal Azure homepage though. I’ll see if I can find the link.

2 Likes

Have been looking but everything seems to redirect back to the Azure landing page unless you’re already logged in with an education account which I unfortunately haven’t had for years now, which makes this tough lol

As far as I know, you can’t get new Windows licenses through that program anymore, only redeem the ones you acquired before they reformulated it.

It depends on the school, and I don’t know if they still have Win 10 keys, or if they have Win 11 keys only, or if the key would work on either. I think schools have to pay per student to get access to the Windows desktop edition keys (and Visual Studio enterprise keys), but Windows server keys are available even if the school does not pay.

This is the page you would go to:
https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_Azure_Education/EducationMenuBlade/software

Then depending on what your school administrators have set up, keys may just show up, or you may have a banner that says “Are you a Student?”. If that banner shows up, then you have to go through the student verification process (which also gets the account the $100 Azure credit), and then the keys should show up.

1 Like