Does it matter which RAM Channels I populate on a 4-channel optimized EPYC?

I’m currently waiting for an EPYC 7282 arrive, which will go on an ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T board, also waiting for that.

The 7282 is one of the EPYCs with half the memory bandwidth because only 2 CCXes are populated, but I’m not clear on whether it matters which memory slots I populate. The Board has only 1 DIMM per Channel, but I wonder if the CCX’es are connected to the I/O die equally, or if there are RAM Slots that are connected to one of the CCX’es while others have to go through the I/O die (kinda like 2nd Gen Threadripper).

Assuming 4 DIMMs, do I have to figure out where to put them (is there a way in Linux or FreeBSD to see if RAM is connected to a CPU Core even if it just shows up as a single NUMA node?) or can I just put them in whatever slots I want? (As said, the board only has 1 DIMM per channnel, so I don’t have to worry about putting 2 DIMMs on the same Channel)

memory controllers are separate from CCXes, the dimm slots are connected to the memory controller which divvy’s up the bandwidth to the CCXes
if the board only has 4 dimms populate all 4

Page 21 of the ROMED8-2T manual says populate A1, B1, G1, and H1 if using four DIMMs.

2 Likes

When in doubt, read the manual.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.