Does it make sense to get a 2500k?

My buddy is offering me his 2500k with a stock cooler for $130 Canadian. To get a 6500k new would run around $300... Seems worth it right? Find a used p67 motherboard +NH D14 and slap a 1070 in and I have a great 1440p gaming PC (carrying my now 4 year old Shimian along for my new PC). At 130 and limiting my PC budget to 1000 is that the best bang for buck I can get? Any help would be appreciated. I currently have a 670 and a 750k @ 4.7 ghz so I'm looking to start from scratch (no viable upgrade path for Fm2+)

Sounds like a solid choice to me.

You could wait for AM4 if you want a more modern platform on the cheap, but an OC'd 2500K is still pretty good for pure gaming

oh wait that was just the 2500K? Do you already have a motherboard lined up that you can buy? Otherwise that is probably going to be a pain in the ass to find.

Also if you're on a budget why are you considering the 1070? go for an RX 480 at the end of the month

and if you have a 750K at 4.7ghz you probably aren't really going to gain much from upgrading to the 2500K

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/geforce-gtx-1080-test/8/#diagramm-xcom-2-1920-1080-intel-core-i5-2500k
2500k will slow down 1070... In some games... In others - not so much...

There are actually a surprising number of decent z77 boards for sale at my local computer shop for under 100 bucks, so that's not a worry. I should clarify this is a 2500k that's happy to spend it's days at 4.8 ghz stable with a decent voltage. My 750k often bottlenecks even my 670, so I'd hope the 2500k is a substantial upgrade. Money wise I just wanna build something from scratch that can do 1440p and VR, and shell out the cash for the best bang for the buck parts. I looked at the 480s but I think I'd probably need to crossfire them (which I'd rather not) for what I'd want to do, and the last time I rolled AMD (5870) the cards drivers made me wanna blow my brains out; have they improved on that front?

Is that an overclocked in? Looked like they were comparing a stock 2500k to a ocd 6700k.

I think you have some serious misunderstanding of the term bottlenecking. 750K will not bottleneck 670... May be you will find 2 games or something, but it's not bottlenecking your 670...

I've never had an issue with my 7850, so i wouldn't know about AMD driver issues

otherwise you're going to want a more modern CPU for VR because you want to keep your minimum frame rates above 90fps, which the CPU helps with

and in addition the 480 is basically a 390X/980-lite card and it's built to be an entry level VR card, the 390/970 were the minimum targets and it should surpass both of them

-
-
And what games are you hitting a bottleneck in? ARMA? Total War? I had a 750K(5800K) and never really hit a bottleneck where I couldn't get to 60fps in a game, and it was running at stock

-
-
and for VR stuff I think PCper mentioned on their podcast about AMD's VR performance solution being getting 1GPU working per eye but I can't find info on that currently.

BF4 was a big one... H1Z1 (being an unoptimized POS). Recently The Division pegs my CPU at %100 at 1080p medium with my 670

From this benchmark, which may just be single player if I remember right, every AMD quad core is getting over 60fps with a 290X at 1080p
http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

and the FX 4320 here at 4ghz is getting over 60fps in The Division, so your CPU is faster than that, and this is with a 980ti
http://www.techspot.com/review/1148-tom-clancys-the-division-benchmarks/page5.html

are you sure your OC is totally stable? that might be causing some issues

Fair enough. Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of my old PC. I will add that BF4 is a very different beast in multi-player vs single player. I guess my basic question is does it make sense to build a new PC around a 2500k? The cost gap roughly equals getting a Rx480 or a 1070

Not with your CPU OC'd that high

if you wanna get into VR go for a 6600K or Zen equivalent at the end of the year, and the RX 480 is going to be VR capable at only $200/250 USD

also you're like totally clearing room for a vive instead of a rift right?

Of course! I think this will be my game plan, as I have a rule that when AMD has a competitive product I will buy it :-) I will get a 480 (or two) assuming they perform the way they are promising. Assuming AMD doesn't "bulldoze" the Zen launch I'll grab one of those too.

IF I CAN GET THE 2500K CHEAP ENOUGH
I'll buy it now and I can always resell it when the Zen stuff comes out. I'm sure the 2500k it pretty easy to resell... in the mean time it'll boost my 480 performance...

Nowadays you'll run into cpu bottlenecks with newer high end GPU's. I wouldn't recommend SandyBridge anymore.

Agreed with @KenPC.
I'm not sure the 480 will have backwards compatibility for PCI rev 2.0, cause I know when I got a 380 on the cheap it didn't have 2.0 compatibility.
I just upgraded my 2600k, I wouldn't really recommend it for much more than entry level gaming (not that it isn't viable) as you will bottleneck on newer games. Plus if you're interested in anything else (VR, streaming) in the future, this won't cut it, especially with PCI 2.0
So note: 2500k isn't gonna have 3.0 compatibility

Excuse me, What?

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/geforce-gtx-1080-test/8/#diagramm-star-wars-battlefront-1920-1080-intel-core-i5-2500k
How are they testing those if the cards don't support Pci-e 2.0?

This just doesn't ring true to me. There is barely any performance benefit to PCI-E 3.0 as far as GPU's are concerned. There are also plenty of people running R9 380X GPU's on AM3+ boards which are only PCI-E 2.0.

380 isn't on that list. I didn't say all cards are like that, no.

Could just be me, but my 2600k + Intel DP67BG didn't support it, and no bios revisions would do.

But I stand corrected.

What about VR though?

I'll have to look up the bandwidth difference then. I didn't say it wasn't viable, I just figured newer hardware is the better option.

What you are experiencing is most likely due to running a 380 it is gameworks that is causing poor performance, such things like physX is pushed onto the CPU and there it is shite. I run and 8350/280x and only see poor performance when I run into physX or gameworks, FO4 ultra godrays is set to x64 and killed my performance, forced it down to x16 and it still looks good but inhale increased frames.