Does anybody miss flash?

As much as people hate flash because it was bloated and a huge security hole, at the very least it was contained to one plugin. Remember when people complained that Vista was bloated and resource intensive? Now, it’s not the OS you have to be worried about, it’s the web browsers. I remember the days when I could just block flash and click to enable it. Now, websites autoplay videos stealing my bandwidth and system resources and there’s a plethora of exploits thanks to HTML5. Heck, Fail0verflow uses a webkit exploit.

Why do we hate flash and not HTML5? HTML5 does the same stuff, why don’t we hate HTML5 too? At least Flash ran on 12-year-old hardware.

2 Likes

Hm… I’m a little pragmatic about it. Yeah Flash was pretty shitty on the one hand. But on the other hand it did drive the Web forward by huge steps. I don’t think it was ever meant to be an everlasting technology, just a transient technology to do stuff that wasn’t possible in any other way at the time.

So yeah, it’s not as bad as people make it out to be.
Also, Flash is just the technology, that people built shitty shit with it is not Adobe’s fault. And the same is true for HTML5. It’s just a toolbox, how people use it is up to them.

In most browsers there’s a setting for that, and if not, there are tons of extensions to stop that.

Because HTML5 is open I guess, and Flash is proprietary? It’s native in the browser too so the only security issue is the browser itself, removes one step to think about.

Huh? HTML5 doesn’t care how old the machine is. Like 3(?) years back I had to work on a project on a Mac Pro G4 and it worked just fine (was a pain even finding a browser tho). Flash may “run” on that old hardware, but it’ll hardly do everything or run smooth, just the same with native.

Flash was needed because the web had not defined a method to access media that flash ‘bridged the gap’ for. Once the W3C realized this, they worked on a mandated implementation, HTML5 video.

The reason we as developers hated it, was because instead of a universal standard incorporated in all browsers, flash was an ‘optional’ plugin with many different versions. Some sites, especially in the enterprise, would only work with specific versions on specific versions of browsers, for specific windows builds; ad nauseum.

So I guess the tl;dr is that once it was realized that media content was something that was part of the web, it was made so. Flash was never a web standard, HTML5 is. Flash brought media functionality when it wasn’t a ‘thing’ yet.

There are some lingering issues with native video as well though, hint: codecs. Every browser supports different ones it’s a pain in the rear :frowning:

But at least here there are fallbacks.

True :smiley:

/edit
also for anyone struggling with that same problem:

Theoretically, using frames could help fix that, but if I remember correctly, frames can be a bit finicky to style. Also, how would you convince the ads and other things to put themselves back in a box?

Hmm, can transparency pass through a frame?

No, and frames have various downsides in themselves anyway.

Frames were used mainly when CMS’ weren’t really a thing because having to build and update navigation on every site is a pain in the rear.
Navigation with frames is also problematic with regards to linking (not really an easy way of linking to a specific sub-page).

We’re not in the 80s anymore. Frames are also depracated and removed from the spec.