Dock recommendations for my laptop and desktop workstation

Hey folks,

long time lurker here asking for finally asking for advice.

I have 2 machines I want to connect to the same peripherals.

Periphals:

• 2 x Samsung C27HG70QQU 27"

• 2 x HDMI in
    • 1 x DisplayPort in
  • Logitech Mouse + Keyboard with 1 Wireless Dongle

• 1 x Headset USB Dongle

• 1x Webcam USB

Machines

Desktop

• Used for gaming on windows
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil
    • 3 x DisplayPort 1.4
    • 1x HDMI 2.0b

Laptop:

• used for development work on linux for work
  • Tuxedo Aura 15
  • AMD® Ryzen 7 4700u with radeon graphics Ă— 8
  • tuxedo os (ubuntu 20.04)
  • 1 x USB-C 3.2 Gen2 with DisplayPort (1.4) and Power Delivery
  • 1 x HDMI (with HDCP)

Problems

Currently, my peripherals are connected to a USB Switch. which has a neat little button to switch things.
Except that I can not use my DOngle for the headset in there. It will randomly get killed and then people in zoom (working on linux) or TeamSpeak (gaming on windows) will have a bad time.

So the headset dongle is always switched manually.

My desk looks like this currently:

I am using some dongle which I got from my employer.
It has

• HDMI in
  • Ethernet
  • 3 x USB A in (Using this to connect the USB switch where I have peripherals connected to)
  • USB C for power
  • USB C for DisplayPort and power to the laptop

To connect the second display I take the HDMI of the second monitor and connect this directly to the laptop.

I can not hide this dongle because every USB-C extension I tried does not work. I already did tidy up and cable managed everything and then it was just flaky. Sometimes the display was not working, sometimes USB peripherals were gone.
SUPER annoying.

Since my windows PC is used for gaming I am using DisplayPort directly to the graficscard.

Question

Any idea how I can get rid of the mess and have it more streamlined?

Why can I get only 60 Hz when working on my Laptop?

Please n recommendations for docks with the DisplayLink driver. It is awful for linux.

That looks like a USB-C dongle which might be best when used on the go or for travel.

My work desk has two monitors, a laptop for work, and a desktop I swap to use somewhat often.

In order to have a more simple swapping process, I’ve got a Dell WD19 dock that can drive two high res displays from one USB-C connector.

I also use a USB switch to swap peripherals, but I use a USB external mixboard for audio so I don’t have the same problem you have with whatever headseat you’re using. My use case only requires a swap of what input the displays are on, and a click of the USB switch and i’m in business. Not sure what your desired transition workflow is… but I digress.

It sounds like you might be able to make use of a KVM from L1T so keep a sharp eye on pre-releases so you can be sure to jump on the one you need.

To directly answer your questions…

Any idea how I can get rid of the mess and have it more streamlined?

Single, more significant dock that can drive high res displays (not your travel sized one)

Why can I get only 60 Hz when working on my Laptop?

Your dongle’s throughput is only rated for 60Hz via the usb port

From it’s description:

• Vivid & Clear 4K Video: 4K video @ 30Hz or 1080p video @ 60Hz output through the HDMI port, can be used for conference projection, computer expansion, etc

Please n recommendations for docks with the DisplayLink driver. It is awful for linux.

My searches for “docks with displaylink” turned up a bunch of docks that are USB 3.0, not USB 3.2 Gen 2, so my recommendation would be for a USB-C dock that has power delivery (for your laptop you’ll only need one capable of 90w pass through)

Something like this CalDigit dock might be the ticket

First off, your designations of input and output on the USB-C adapter are the wrong way, just so there are no misunderstandings in the future.

Now, your laptop has the capability to drive quite a lot of pixels through just the USB-C cable (using DP MST for multiple screens, DSC for compression to achieve higher resolutions).

Then it becomes just a question of the right adapter, but this is also where it becomes difficult.

Then a warning: With Intel graphics, in the past, I have seen multiple bugs, where features like MST where unstable under linux (flickering etc), although it worked under windows. I have no idea how stable AMDs implementation is, but because of the plethora of variants and combinations one should expect stuff like this to be less tested than just using a single cable for every display. Technically it should work however.

Regarding the cable length: docks that do not have a cable fixed to them are very rare, but most full-on docks (the ones, that come with their own powersupply, not just the adapter) have at least longer cables.

If you’d want to go the route of a single cable solution, you would either have to go with:

1. USB 2.0 + DP 1.4 USB-C Adapter with MST-Hub. Especially Cable Matters has some of those. Should be enough for 2xWQHD@100. Short, fixed cables though. (if you use a USB 3 connection, like almost all adapters and basically all docks do, you loose half the displayport bandwidth. This only allows 1xWQHD@60 with DP 1.2, probably 2 with DP 1.4)
  2. USB 3 + DP 1.4 + DSC Adapters/Docks. Rare, but with DSC for compression should still be able to do 2xWQHD@100 over half a DP 1.4 connection. Ready made docks/adapters that can do this are for example:
  • Dell WD19 (DSC not advertised, but tested by me, somewhat unstable if maxing compression out). VESA plate exists, to attach at the back of monitor.
  • HP USB-C Dock G5. officially advertised DSC support
  • also some Cable Matters and other smaller USB-C Adapters.
  • separate USB-C Adapters and DSC Adapters could be possible and are more flexible, but also trickier to find a working combination. (Basically 1 adapter to split USB data from Displayport and then doing the rest with own, specific adapters/hubs)

Regarding the CalDigit USB-C Pro Dock already recommended: seems like this specific one makes large sacrificies to MacOS inabilities and therefore comes with older displayport specs that may limit you in the future and still contains thunderbolt, which you cannot use with your current laptop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.