Do you Mine?

How much money/bitcoins are made on an average system? In other words, is it really worth leaving your computer on for hours so as to mine bitcoins? I'm just wondering since I might considering investing in a good AMD card next time around which I know would be good for bitcoin mining.

I honestly believe when ASIC miners are available for purchase, They will ruin bitcoin and everyone will move to other cryptocurrencies like litecoin.

just ordered a video card what do you guys think of. GigaByte Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR3 PCI-E w/ DVI, HDMI?

6670s are nice gpus. For bitcoin mining you should probably expect around 100mhash/s, a little more if you OC it.

is 100mhash/s good? the card was in a pretty good price range for me was thinking about a slithtly better one but it wasnt in stock. also ordered a psu and 120mm fan.

I personally think its a matter of time before the US government tries to tax bitcoins/transactions. At that point theywill lose their value. Unless of course we manage to tell them to fuck off, which i would very much prefer.

The us government has no right to tax personal transactions, that's the equivelent of taxing my physical wallet.

just because it's electronic dosent give them the right to be asshats, so if they try it please do tell them to go bend.. it's just wrong.

I'm in the uk here, hopefully we can convince our decrepid incompenet government not to be asshats aswell, although considering how paranoid they are of more riots i guess they might give us a free pass on this one

what i'd love to see in future is an 'opensource' internet money system and bitcoin is a step in the right direction deus ex style cash chips make allot of sense when you consider how much harder it is to run around and hack 7 billion physical objects than a centeralised location like a bank

I was a late start, and after my computer reached a very uncomfortable 90C while mining, I decided it take me a few years at 250mhash's to buy a new GPU, or at lest three months of saying whats left over after bill's eats my meager pay checks.   I love the idea and thought about buying some right before the first crash, but when it crashed I freaked and decided it was either to risky or a straight up Ponzi scheme.  At times I'm not sure what to make of it, when it hit the 50 dollar range I was mad at myself for not investing in it. Because they don't let folks like me buy stocks.

I like the idea, it's a good idea, whether it stands the test of time remains to be seen, but personally I believe this ship as sailed for Bitcoins and mining with consumer hardware.  Too many greedy neckbeards.

Got a 7970 mining when I am not gaming, going at 660 MH/s

worth mining with a 7670M? (yes, I use a laptop)

Bad idea the heat could kill your lap top,

It's important to have good cooling, the mining software runs your GPU hot as all hell.

yeah, i've looked into it a bit and decided it really isn't worth it.

Yeah, experimenting with the idea of it.

still waiting for my wallet to synchronize with the network

untill then im getting 200+ Mhash/s with one overclocked HD6790