Do You Hoard Your Product Boxes?

I have a closet full of boxes and always tell myself it's good to save these things in case I need to send them in for warranty repair or sell them when I'm done with them, but it never happens. I think I'm just going to go through and bag up whatever extraneous cables, adapters, etc. are in them and make some space. Why is it so difficult for me to do this?

4 Likes

I hoard
ALL THE BOXES
because I sell things. So I need random boxes to ship out said things I sold. lol.

5 Likes

I like packaging
One of the ways my OCD manifests super hardcore is packaging

I will always attempt to opening it in a clean and consistent manner, and keep boxes for display

2 Likes

I keep product boxes for most electronics because when it comes time to sell it... it seems like having original packaging makes it stand out more (even if it really doesn't make a difference).

1 Like

Pretty much my reasoning for keeping boxes.

The original box has no effects on the performance or condition of an item, but people gotta have their boxes.

YOU PEOPLE AREN'T HELPING! >:(

...but that's okay, because I just filled a large garbage bin with product boxes and cleared out a substantial amount of closet space, which will eventually become a networking closet.

1 Like

I keep my electronics boxes because ¯_(ツ)_/¯ huh... the shrug donger is messed up here... fine in my notepad

Until stuff goes out of warranty, yes.

4 Likes

I have so much garbage from packaging, I have a 32 gallon trash can in my bedroom, and my bedroom fills it immediately every time I try cleaning my room. Why can't I get rid of all these boxessssss?

...it's because I might need to sell them at some point T_T

I keep the boxes for cases (so I can pack up whole systems) and because those are big and mostly empty all the component boxes go in there. I also keep boxes for stuff I might sell down the road, like cameras, laptops and so on. I also keep some things in the box most of the time, like my i1 display pro monitor calibration ... thing.

So yeah, it is useful to have the boxes you might need.

1 Like

I used to, but recently I got rid of 50% of them

1 Like

Yes, especially boxes of pc component, you know if you need at one time to RMA or sell. And I try to pack most of them into larger boxes in order to reduce the footprint of these boxes. (and also the shipping boxes, because for me you cannot have enough shipping boxes, you need moar!)

2 Likes

My bedroom closet has been taken over by product boxes....

1 Like

do you need the OG box for rma?

1 Like

I do!

value < $200

I keep the box for at least a month till I know I'm not gonna return it. Then it's to the garbage!

value > $200

I keep the box almost indefinitely because for something like a camera / lens / top-tier tripod / sound equipment, the resale value is double if you have the original box.

1 Like

Keeping all the boxes!
And manuals.
And everything else that comes with stuff I buy.
Resell value, you know.

2 Likes

I keep all my product boxes, let them collect dust, and then... well... smell the insides just to see if they were able to stand the test of time.

In all seriousness though, I like my boxes, they provide a home for all the products that I plan to store, or sell.

1 Like

For anything I plan to re-sell or are likely to re-sell at some point to retain value are kept. If they don't fit through the loft hatch then they might get flat packed but not always.

1 Like

My whole family does this if you went in our loft/attic all you'll see is boxes some of it is for things we don't even have anymore. But when it comes to sorting it out it goes something like this.

Should we throw this out also?

ooh, best keep it don't know when you might need it.

1 Like

I keep 99.9% of the product boxes I get. The one box that I think has been thrown out that I wish I kept was for my son's Xbox 360. Now it very well could be at his stepmom's house but I don't think so.

1 Like