Do you get into metal? Or does it just grab onto you?

From what I understand, a lot of metal bands were inspired by darker classical music, Wagner and the like. Metal has some sweet roots.

I think it has to do with some of the more (I daresay) technical aspects that may appear in the songs.

Songs with bridges, changes in time signature, and/or instrumentals? What are these things, and why has Britney Spears never heard of them?

But, that is just one side of the coin. On the flip side we have the likes of Korn, or some broad swathes of punk rock, where you just hammer out distorted chords into a wall of noise. Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for everything, and the Anti-Nowhere League's song "So What" is great fun from time to time... But I will never forgive god for allowing Korn to be created.

@TheCheshireKat and Blues. Rock/metal/letscallitmystepmom is just this lovely and terrible mixture of a lot of musical heritage and elements. When everyone gets over this whole nuclear scare thing, and knowing anything about The Middle East becomes socially acceptable without being thought of as an ISIS-supporter, I wonder when we might see some love-baby-amalgamation between mystepmom metal and Sufi meditation music. I should actually see if that shit exists...

1 Like

Whilst Korn isn't my style either, I do like some of Jonathan Davis' solo work.

Most of my music collection is either metal or the harder styles of rock, but I do have a very varied taste in music.
I'll just as happily listen to hardcore, crooners or even 90s Eurodance, so I'm not a metalhead at all. If anything, I'm a Johnny Cash fan.

1 Like

Nail to the floor trash metal from Greece. No cookie monster vocals and very well structured without going up its own ass with technicalities that only really impress other musicians.

1 Like

I think this is more true for modern technical stuff than the older heavy metal acts which were heavily inspired by blues. Rock'n'Roll (Which is what Lemmy insist Motherhead plays) was really just white people on acid and amphetamines trying to play the blues. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath et all. The musicians that stood on these bands shoulders entered into a speed, brutality and technicality contest which eventually made heavy metal travel up its own ass to perform a perfect loop. I love bands like Meshuggah, Hour of Penance and so on, but the reality is that they are musicians mostly to other musicians. Something was lost along the way. And it is open for debate if that's a good or a bad thing.

Would I sound like a total peasant puts on pretentious cap if I said that whilst the sound is truly metal, the political theme and style of video reminds me more of late eighties Brit punk: The good anti-Thatcherite stuff before the first world problems punk crowd came into being. Regardless of my uninformed observations, really sweet tune mate.

Its the red pants, isn't it? :oP

You found me out :P Is trash metal just a bit punky in style then? Or again am I just reading too much into the red pants?

I have no idea what the red pants are about tbh. The lyrics are social criticism but I would expect nothing less from a band from Greece atm. Trash and punk are related. I don't know if its true but the saying goes that trash is what happened when the kids that grew up on heavy metal like Diamond Head heard the UK wave of punk. A band like Megadeth is notoriously political in their lyrics since back then and the time trash surfaced seems to match. 82-86 is where it took shape, so...

Edit. Chronosphere belongs to the second wave of Trash. I think its a going back to the roots kind of movement. It seems to be.

1 Like

Cool, I shall check this stuff out. Worse case scenario I'm not a fan of the music but know a little more about the development of the relationship between metal and punk.

Cool. Interesting fact. There used to be some sort of brick wall between the fans of heavy metal and those of punk. The one band everyone agreed was the bees knees was/is Motorhead. Lemmy had long hair so everyone just assumed he was metal, but he had a lot more sympathy for the punks. He just liked having long hair and don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks; Point in case.

Lemmy is a gent who has no fucks to give. Do you know why there was a divide? Was it just clashing philosophies, I mean both were about giving the finger to modern society somewhat. Why did they care about the musical differences?

Because everybody wants to be a special little snowflake and belong to their unique counter culture that hates everybody else counter culture? I have no idea. To me it was never an issue. I was totally into both and whatever amalgamations came out of them. Maybe it was the drugs that were the real divide. Punks (and Lemmy) did copious amounts of amphetamines where Metal heads (and Lemmy) were drunkards. But its a guess.

2 Likes

Fair enough I suppose, amphetamines and alcohol don't make for a great mix.

Have you ever been drunk blind and had to endure a motorhead talk his teeth out at you? That's a recipe for bad street fighting right there.

Luckily not, closest to it is having a high, drunk and very nostalgic American decide that he wanted to give me a painfully detailed recount of his entire life. However they lead to similar conclusions. (Not really, he was a great guy)

Sorry, I know it was rhetorical, but I like the story.

1 Like

A logical step in the right direction from punk would be crossover/thrash. Check out the Thrashology 101 thread in the Metal subforum. I'll also post some bands below:

2 Likes

For me, metal was love at first listen. However, my first foray into metal was in the thrash genre (Metallica, Megadeth, the usual). Over the years I've become a super big thrash nerd - I can't get enough. Just because you like one genre of metal won't necessarily mean that you'll develop a liking to all of them though. For many reasons which I wont go into here, I haven't been able to develop a taste for any of the "melodic", viking/celtic, or black metal genres. If you find yourself liking thrash metal, shoot me a PM and we'll discuss some good bands you might like.

As @Swiftness90 mentioned, you can check out this thread that I am sort of curating for all your thrash needs.
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/thrashology-101-the-joy-of-thrash/80010

I usually do weekly updates to the thread. I'm planning some more this week, but I broke my toe late last week in a soccer game and my schedule has been messed up :D

1 Like

Here, this was one of my favorites before I was aquianted with death metal. The guitars have a very heavy sound and the vocals are pretty clean. I'm not a huge fan of the vocals when they first start but they get better throughout the song IMO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIvSXocE6YY

1 Like

Thanks everyone who messaged me, for sending links to tracks and bands and for suggesting things to check out. And thanks to your suggestions, I've found a genre that really blows my mind: Power metal. The moment I heard Powerwolf's We Drink Your Blood, I was hooked :)