Do some small business solutions videos

We run a small optician store. We want to run a small database containing names, telephones and eye related data, either using google sheets or some sort of free sql database. I have some spare hardware lying around and I am looking for something cheap and easy like most small businesses do. I have no idea how to do that and there are no good tutorials out there. You should do more of this small business stuff because there is very limited content out there. I think it is a great opportunity as most channels either target home users or power users running crazy home labs. Also, why not learn from the best? (that’s you guys). Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Just as a headsup: Under German law, storing that offshore is a no-go.

1 Like

In Greece, we barely have laws :stuck_out_tongue: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved:

No idea about your laws about private data handling. Best luck with your project.

1 Like

Thank you! Do you have any experience with such databases? I don’t mind it being offline, I just want something that I can set up myself instead of using tons of paper forms.

Sadly the most I did was playing about with SQL.
You could use some spreadsheet software (libreoffice calc, excel, etc. ) or look into how the databasy functions of libre office work.

I really thought of using plain spreadsheets to save customer data (one sheet per client) but that would seem to be horribly inefficient. Some sort of form and backend that can save and display what was typed in the form seemed to be the best (it is a database after all). I had no idea that libre office had database functions though! I will have a look at that. Thanks again!

use SQLite. it’s a nice, simple, file-backed DB. plenty of clients that can create/run/edit records on your local computer.

think about the data you want to save. write down every individual thing (e.g., visit date, time, purpose, who they saw, tests run, invoice items, etc. etc.) and group them as logically as you can imagine. if you share this (the design, mind you; NOT actual information) we can look at how it might be stored.

do you have any experience with SQL?

edit

unless, of course, your only goal is to get rid of paper. spreadsheets are fine for that.

databases are for organizing and querying data.

I have absolutely no experience with SQL but I am quite handy with computers, at least as far as Windows is concerned. I am better with hardware. What I really mean is that I can’t write or read code but I can read and understand most pieces of documentation, have knowledge of basic Linux commands, you could call me a power user. I have run a mining rig, including basic compiling of mining software mostly by documentation and some troubleshoot searching and figuring out. I don’t know if any of what I am saying is helpful but I like computers so I get commited to accomplish something if I want to. Just today I installed pfsense on a Dell 790, configured suricata and pfblockerNG , basic stuff. I am getting carried away here… I don’t really care about visit dates, times and purposes. Most clients come over with a doctor’s “prescription” of what is wrong with their eyes. Most of that stuff does not change for years, so when they come back to buy a new pair of spectacles, we need to be able to search their records, so new lenses can be cut and used on their new frame. Basically we need to store names, telephones so we can contact them and myopia/hyperopia and/or presbyopia plus astigmatism degrees (or diopters, just a plain number with + or -). You can either have myopia or hyperopia plus presbyopia and astigmatism, so those alone are three variables in total.

honestly, this sounds like you’d do just fine with spreadsheets.

but if you want to look into making a database, that’s cool too :slight_smile:
i’d start by really picking apart what info could be on a prescription (hint: you’ll have quite more than 3 fields) and what info you need about each patient.

Where do I start from software-wise?

something like http://sqlitebrowser.org
i don’t use windows so i couldn’t testify as to the best tools, but their linux version is decent.
you might also look at https://sqlitestudio.pl
or, if you get right down to it, you only need the sqlite binary from https://www.sqlite.org and a plain text editor.

SQL is something of a different language that you might be used to. It reads more like a sentence (if you were giving someone instructions).

http://www.sqlitetutorial.net/ has some good examples to learn from.

for your actual DB, though, design is important. that’s why I suggested you think carefully about the data and plan+organize it.

1 Like