Do not get the gtx 1070 ti

I feel that just a regular gtx 1080 is the sweet spot between all cards form the gtx or vega line up.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much what I am saying.

Still, we will see soon enough anyways if this card is worth it.

Did a GTX 1070 ti bite you when you were a kid? lol

1 Like

he bought 1070 or 1080

Nope. But 4k 60fps? Or 1440p 144 to 165 hertz. That would be your decision. The gtx 1080 looks better for 1440p if you ask me.

Even if the 1070 Ti doesn’t make sense from a performance to price point perspective, why would anyone argue that we need less products on the market? If it doesn’t make sense and no one buys it, they won’t make another. If people like it for whatever reason, they make more. I know this forum isn’t for the “normies”, but I know a few of those that want to play PC games but aren’t comfortable overclocking. I’ve tried telling them to try it, but they want as close to a plug and play experience as they can get. If a 1070 Ti fits between the 1070 and 1080 in both performance and price out of the box, no overclocking needed, I think it could be popular with new PC gamers that aren’t necessarily into hardware.

The problem is market share. Having many different products but only from one brand will kill PC gaming as a whole. Nvidia is going for maximum profit anyway, and still, people are buying their stuff more than ever!

As it looks right now, people will buy more Intel+Nvidia systems the better AMD does (notice the small updrift in the CPU graph?)

1 Like

It is crazy that people continue to buy Intel and Nvidia products when there is a good competitor now in the market. But I would also argue that most of that trend is just momentum in the market right now. AMD being a real competitor in the CPU space is still new. I know back in the day I would buy AMD stuff just because I didn’t like how powerful Intel had become. Until recently, I didn’t have a choice with the servers and workstations I was building for clients. They wanted performance, I had to use Intel. Now I am looking at AMD for both because they can deliver.

As for GPUs, I don’t know how Nvidia tricked everyone into forgetting about AMD. I think part of it might have been bleed over from AMD not being in the CPU space. If you don’t associate AMD with CPU performance, it’s hard to realize they compete pretty well on the GPU side.

1 Like

Stability, trust and compatibility.

Have you noticed the number of people having memory problems with Ryzen in this forum alone? GPU passthrough on Threadripper doesn’t work. What about Ryzen’s segfault problems when compiling software? AMD will regain marketshare, but this takes time. Promising the world while only delivering hot running, slow chips for years has shattered people’s trust.

Nvidia is in a windows-like position at this point. People use CUDA, so people use CUDA. But that is not the entire story: AMD’s OpenGL and OpenCL implementations have been bad historically and only now are they starting to fix them. Why would anyone bother using OpenCL when it runs slower on nvidia cards, has a smaller ecosystem and doesn’t run properly on AMD anyway? Nvidia has also been pushing new technologies and marketing them to developers, while AMD is only copying their products later on.

I’d like to see competition and hope that Vulkan and Dx12 will restore some order. But there is very good reasons people have and are still preferring to pay for the competition.

2 Likes

I’ll admit graphics cards are not my specialty, so I was not aware there were such problems with OpenCL in the past. Interesting info. I just play games with the damn things when I get a few free minutes. :slight_smile:

For the first one: Most memory works, at DDR4 stock (2133MHz) but it works!
GPU passthrough is very niche as is. For the average buyer, HW-passthrough will not even be in his vocabulary.
Segfaults while compiling is another problem most people won´t have as they are afraid of source code (not kidding).

1 Like

There’s market segmentation and then there’s product segmentation.
At nvidia however there are now product segments in segments of segments.

Somewhat copy-paste research from a relevant linked-in piece.

First let’s not forget what market segmentation is about.

Market segmentation is the process of dividing a market of potential customers into groups, or segments, based on different characteristics. The segments created are composed of consumers who will respond similarly to marketing strategies and who share traits such as similar interests, needs, or locations.

Product Segmentation refers to the practice of offering a number of different versions of a single product. This strategy not only helps to ensure that products are more closely aligned with individual customer need. It also exploits additional profit opportunities by creating a variety of up-sell propositions.

The business case for segmentation

Segmentation is a commercially viable strategy only when the additional profit from each new segment is greater than the additional cost of further product development. So greater product segmentation makes sound business sense until additional cost approaches the level of additional profit.

So in summary, it is currently cheaper for Nvidia to squeeze out more money from consumers by segmenting their product line with the 1070Ti than to develop a new product.

So simple choice:

1. If you’re a Nvidia Fan and want to see Nvidia lead then don’t buy the 1070Ti if you want to shorten the time to Nvidia’s nextgen release.

2. If you’re an AMD Fan, then tell others to buy the 1070Ti, because it gives AMD extra time.

3. If you’re smart or indifferent do nothing. Because you know based on how points one and two are distributed in the population, that people will buy the 1070Ti anyway.

2 Likes

The graphics side is in better shape than compute, however there is some differences there as well. Nvidia’s OpenGL driver will accept just about any shader code and try to correct error for the programmer. I don’t think this is a good thing, but it does make the driver look more polished. Nvidia has a graphics debugger which integrates directly into Visual Studio. Logan mentioned problems with AMD’s hair physics implementation.

Most regular users don’t decide on which hardware to buy either however. Sway the techies and they in turn will recommend your products to normies.

It’s the small things that make a product look polished. All these things make their software more mature and invoke trust.

Part of me wonders if Nvidia will continue with this trend of segmentation. It does not really seems healthy for them to do that. But they can afford to have extra product not being bought from consumers. I thought it was the consumer that was really the marketing team for nvidia instead of nvidia marketing team and strategies. I don’t care if that does not make sense but do as you will. For example I can run my Asus gtx 560 directcu ii oc on all high settings with max tessellation and shadows on softest setting in gta V and get 60 to 80 fps with ease. Of course it is paired with my 4790k. But try to do that with an amd card from that generation and try it on the same settings. This really builds up the reputation for nvidia and they deserve the credit from the past performance. To tired to remember what I had to say on this post so I thing this will do for now. Oh now I remember. i think that with the binning that has been going on is diluting this cards generation. And making it hard for the consumer to decide on which card to get. Like that is a hard decision but relevant.

Reviews back in the day for the GTX 560 were okay.
The HD6870 delivered better performance per watt.

1 Like

I simply won’t be buying another nVidia card of any model after my 1070 experience. Playing with the Vega 56 is far more entertaining, and at least it loads my color profile on every boot and doesn’t mess with my fonts in random programs.

Really no idea how the competition has managed to reinforce the AMD stereotypes to the point of undercutting what is sometimes the better product. Intel/Dell mess aside. We’re all suffering from that though with struggling competition.

60-80 in cutscenes. :wink:
40-60 elsewhere So about the same as the HD5870 or really any old R7 260X or other random second hand card.

And I know this because I have buckets of hardware lying around I could test with. GTA V was pretty much built on and for first gen DX11 cards. That’s how old it is now actually.

Honestly I do not know why you would use the gtx 480 unless you were cold.

Set aside the sneering at GTX480 TDP and consider that it’s perf was still quite respectable.
Certainly in excess of GTX560.

Something else that’s fun to consider

Notice in the gta V benchmark the gtx 480 has more headroom.