Do mechanical drives still serve a purpose?

I was thinking of including a TB one just to backup my system in case any **** hit the fan but, then i figured after messing with flash drives going back to 7200rpm would literally be the death of me (by aneurysm lol- ahem not funny) .

So yeah should i toss in a WD 1TB HDD just for to cover all the basis or no?

If you value your data at all, you should definitely store it on a HDD. Not only do they give more reliable signs of death compared to flash-based storage, but data recovery is much, much easier on a HDD, compared to something flash-based.

8 Likes

Why? Your music will not work on regular drive? Your rar files will not unrar themselves? Your OS became so elitist it will not work on mechanical anymore, unless it's Cherry MX?
Seriously guys, having an OS SSD drive is great. Having couple TB storage SSD drives is expensive as hell. If people say spinning rust is dead - go check your brain. Your files does not care. Storage wise - you can't beat the HDD...
Hell, most games won't have any performance difference what so freaking ever...

22 Likes

Hard Drives are better if you have a lot of data that you want to store cheaply as the price per gigabyte is much lower for an HDD compared to an SSD and if it is used for backup or archive purposes it doesn't really matter how slow it is.

No. Start slowly upgrading over years. So year one your primary SSD is say 120 gigs. Year two you buy a new SSD that is 500 gigs and use the old 120 gig model as backup. Rinse and repeat over a few years and you have yourself a fairly healthy backup strategy. Also get two 1 TB externals. One of these is frequent back up and 4 times a year you make sure the second external is all synced up. You can also encrypt and store on a server somewhere out in the wild. This has been my strategy for five years now and has worked pretty well.

Why external not internal? He can do the same on the internal drive, that you are telling him not to get.

1 Like

A good point @psycho_666 and I agree with you. However, it is my personal preference to use all SSD's internally. If I was going to use spinning rust I would make a dedicated backup/streaming box. Which, coincidentally, has been on the project list for at least a year.

And nothing drives me crazy faster than hearing a traditional hard disk spinning up and seeking.

1 Like

You could do what I do and put a hot-swap bay in the 5.25 slot (if the case has one) and you get the best of both worlds, internal speed/reliability but also the flexibility of being able to swap/remove drives on the fly.

2 Likes

Also a good point. I like my cases to have modern/minimalist design. So no hot-swap bay for me.

If you are like me, having a boot SSD drive for OS and software and mechanical for absolutely everything else, let me tell you, i don't hear it. Browsers, stuff - all on the SSD... I play game - the game music is killing the HDD noise. The 10-15MB music files are not really an issue. And i have the WD Black, that are notoriously noisy.
Seriously, it's not that big of an issue.
120GB boot drive and a couple terabytes storage and you are fine...

4 Likes

I hear you, I'm more functionality over aesthetics kind of guy, plus you can get hot-swap bays that blend pretty well to most cases and it doesn't look out of place.

1 Like

Yeah @psycho_666 @MichaelLindman it just comes down to personal preference in the end. Each approach that you two take is perfectly viable.

Yeah... Honestly, if SSDs weren't that expensive i would probably go with them, but man, 120GB SSD or a 1TB HDD... And the hard drive is even cheaper... For me i can't justify the price of a large SSD...

1 Like

I don't work with large enough data sets for that to influence my choice. If I did work with larger data sets then a spinning disk would be the way to go. That being said, SSD prices are coming down somewhat recently. For instance, Samsung has been extremely aggressive with their pricing lately.

2 Likes

What it all comes down to for me is that I have a lot of data that needs to be accessible almost all of the time so I use HDDs to store that data, don't get me wrong, I love SSDs, I currently have four SSDs vs two 1TB HDDs in my system, all have a propose. imo SSDs are cheap but the high capacity SSDs are not, so for now HDDs win for mass data storage but maybe next year or the year after the higher capacity drives might be cheap enough to be worth it.

3 Likes

HDDs provide cheap mass storage.
SSDs provide high speed storage.
If you want both, speed and capacity, you pay a lot more.
For coming few years, HDDs will increase in capacity with the biggest drives (10TB) beeing much more expensive than the "average" drives (which are currently arround the 4TB mark). SSDs hit the speed barrier where load times are not noticeably changing anymore, capacity comes next.

You need to prioritize your data. I run suicide raid on 2 128GB SSDs and keep most of my programs, and some of my games there (only if I care about load times). Most of my storage is done on my NAS for things like music, movies, etc. The nas is a little bit slower than your standard 7200RPM HDD but roughly the same. Most of the machines in my house only have 120s or 240s, I couldnt really function without the 4tb from my nas.

Bottom line is unless you're dropping some serious cash on flash storage, you will fill up your SSD, and then regret not having an HDD.

4 Likes

Storage capacity per dollar is better than SSDs and to this consumer it matters.

I use hdd for media, p2p, backups, and lesser played games. Works great. A movie or song doesn't care about ssd, and accessing a backup is once upon a blood moon.

I agree with the consensus here.

Dollar for dollar you just can't beat the storage capacity of hard drives yet. Yeah, I have an SSD for my windows install. But I'll tell ya what. My linux install is on a mechanical drive and it boots a hell of a lot faster than my windows drive. Within 20 seconds and I'm into Linux. Compare that to my Windows drive that's on an SSD? I'm still waiting about 50 seconds.

Granted, that is mostly due to Windows being a pig, and I've got alot installed on my Windows OS. But still, that's impressive to me.

For mass storage of documents, pictures, movies and games? Keep the games you play the most on the SSD with your OS, and get a mechanical drive for everything else.