Do i need this fancy shnitzel?

I would like a good gaming pc and i want to game at 1080p full maxed for the next few years to come.
all AAA titels @60fps and csgo @144fps (minimum) (got monitor already)

budget €1300 max
decided on:

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive €50
Samsung 750 EVO - 500GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD €145
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 €80
Phanteks Eclipse Series P400 Steel ATX Mid Tower Case €70
MSI GeForce GTX 970 €325

Undecided on:

Motherboard (do i need extra gpu slots? i would like wifi on the mobo just in case)
cpu (i7 seems so overkill i5 best bang for buck? (I5-6600K 3.50 GHz) im not planning on overklocking so do i need the unlocked version? this is my biggest concern)
cooling unit noctua best quality? do i need €80 cooler? is thermal paste always included with cpu or cooler unit?
how important is power efficiency in psu?

I hope someone could give me some insights on this :)

Grz from belgium

I would go for 2 gpu slots, they can be useful. I would also recommend WiFi.
You are good cpu wise. Don't get the unlocked if you are not overclocking. Noctua is a good choice, but get some good high end thermal paste. One tube of the stuff with diamond pieces is 7$
Power efficiency is important, just choose a psu with a gold or higher rating. DO NOT cheep out on the psu, it is very important.

2 Likes

cheers Devon, i appreciate the quick reply :)

I5-6600 3.30 Ghz 6 M Processor is about the same price as the 6600k that has 3.5ghz ($225.99 $228.99)
i want a good fast processor, what would u recommend? i doest have to be best price/performance, it can be a bit higher performance.
as for the mobo, i cant tell when there is wifi on it. msi the way to go? i feel like i need to make up my mind about the cpu first.

grz and ty for ur time

Indubitably.
So, my favorite CPU is the i7-4790. The k version is at 337 US$, and its almost a whole Ghz faster. The I5-6600 should work for you though.
So unless a mobo says it has built in wifi, you are gonna need wifi adapter. They are cheap, no more then 30 US$. This one is good: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/HrZQzy/siig-wireless-network-card-cnwr0811s1
MSI is pretty good, I like ASUS.

No problem, hope it goes well.

*Schnitzel
With C in the sCh, greetings from Germany.

Why do you want a 970? The R9 390 is the faster card (with 8 wheels instead of 3 1/2). If you can fork out a little extra (40€) you can get the 390x gain a little extra FPS.

i5-6400 + Sapphire R9 390X (1323€)
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/3zwxcc

i5-6400 + Sapphire RX 480 8G (1294€)
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/m3Gy4C

Why do you want a last year's GPU? You'd be better off with a GTX 1060 or an RX 480 or R9 390/390x.

You don't need an unlocked CPU if you're not planning to overclock and you don't need an $80 cooler. But an aftermarket cooler like the very popular Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is still recommended over the stock cooler.

ok guys sorry for the long w8, i got my shit straight now :p

this is what i came up with, would u mind double checking.

Ugh... European prices are disgusting. Sorry bro.

You should see if you can get a different brand for less expensive. This is Samsung's "budget" model, and it looks expensive. You should be able to get an 850 for almost the same price.

That's DDR3 RAM. I think you will probably want DDR4. Also, very expensive.

If you are going to get anything less than the latest, try to see if you can find a used card. You'll probably save 40%

Get a Z170 board with your choice or features. However, I recommend starting with the entry level board, and going up to the one that barely meets your needs. There are a lot of boards that cost 2x as much as a lower model, and all the add are fluff and useless features.

I don't know why you wouldn't overclock. You can even do a mild overclock on the stock CPU cooler. i5 should be fine for games, but the extra threads can help if you are really multi tasking (like streaming).

If you aren't overclocking, or just barely overclocking, you don't need an aftermarket cooler. Save the money here and use it for a better CPU.

Depends on how much you use it. Personally I consider any 80+ bronze adequate for a game rig that isn't on all the time. On my workstation I have a platinum because it is on 24/7/365. Also the higher end ones sometimes have longer warranty, but keep in mind that you might spend more on the shipping of a high end power supply than just getting another bronze one. Especially because you are in Europe. Don't get more watts than you need. 500w for 1 video card. 650w for 2.

1 Like