Do I need an expensive mobo for overclocking?

I’ve found a MSI X370 Gaming PLUS, Socket AM4 for my new PC that will have a Ryzen 7 1700. My question is if this will be good for overclocking or should I go for a more expensive model for better overclocking support?

I was also wondering what people think of the Ryzen stock cooler coming with the CPU. Is it a solid cooler? Should I get an aftermarket one?

For OC you definitely want a better cooler than the stock.
There are many things, that play a role in the overclocking and the chipset is but one… The UEFI options, the power delivery system, etc etc…
Basically there isn’t going to be much of a difference, unless you go for some extreme 4+Ghz…

1 Like

Thanks. I think I will only try to get it to 3.9 Ghz or 4.0 Ghz. I don’t care for extreme overclocking.

The motherboard will be good enough for a mild to medium overclock. The most important things to get with a ryzen based system is memory with a high frequency and a decent cooler

1 Like

Msi did not use the best quality mosfets in the vrm design on that particular board.
But for some moderate overclocking it should basiclly be sufficient.
Of course there are better boards like the Asrock X370 Taichi.
The Taichi is one of the best am4 boards you could get wenn it comes to the vrm implementation,
and overall build quality and value for money.

2 Likes

MSI X370 Gaming PLUS does not have a clock gen. so, no BCLK overclocking. I don’t think MSI has a single board that supports BCLK overclocking. X370s without clock generators don’t make sense to me, why not just use a B350?

I was going to put more effort into this relpy but I just don’t feel like it.

1 Like

Well B-clock generator isnt really that needed for overclocking.
Its a nice feuture to have if you want to do some extreme overclocking on memory.
But for some basic overclocking you dont really need a B-clock generator persee.
Because on normal circumstances Ryzen doesnt overclock that much beyond 4Ghz.
If op wants a board that has all the bells and wishles for overclocking then the Asrock X370 Taichi offers the best value for money.

The main reason not to use a B350 for overclocking a Ryzen 7 cpu,
is because the vrm implementations on all B350 boards are pretty poor.

1 Like

I don’t care about the aesthetics of my parts, as long as it doesn’t look like complete ass. I only care for technical specs that fit my need. I use closed computer cases without glass.

Thanks for the replies. I was originally going to go for an Asrock board anyway, as I’ve had a lot of good experiences with their bords at a workshop I worked before.

4Ghz on 1700 isn’t much of an overclock (I guess things are relative). ASRock AB350 Pro4 can do it. I have even seen a GABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 do 3.9Ghz (I persume the VRM gets a bit hot).

1 Like

short answer no!.
Long answer, ryzen does not OC all that well, you wont be able to pull out 10% from buying a new MB, and cooler etc.
Accept Ryzen what it is, a victory over Intel in thread performance, but the single core is still behind.
The cash you will be throwing at a ~100Mhz extra overclock would be redicules, and deffinetly not worth it.

1 Like

So I’m better off just getting a 1700 Ryzen with as cheap motherboard that it has the connections I need?

Too cheap can cause issues, from VRM’s overheating to not having the bios settings you want\need, but yes, generally any reputable board that doesn’t have people complaining about it will get the vast majority of the overclocking benefits of its expensive cousins… just make sure you do the buyer beware style user reviews checks before you fork over any money.

1 Like