DO I need a UPS?

That's just the max load it can handle. While overkill for your current setup, it does offer room to expand down the road. Aside from its load-handling, and a long battery life, this one does a fine job conditioning power(this one puts out a clean sinusoidal wave; as opposed to stepped/simulated waves).
The 510w/600w version of this UPS is equally good, and routinely go on sale <$100; considering they are currently more expensive, the 810w is the clear pick :)

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. Yeah cant really disagree with that.

What about VA? Does that denote some sort of range?

Just taking a stab in the dark, but probably some sort of a spike/peak rating. I never did quite understand the purpose of that value

VA = volt amps = watts.

EDIT. This is not entirely correct for UPS's.

I made that mistake. My UPS is 685VA but it only equals 390 Watts. I can only plug my PC into it w/o an overload and I plan to get a 2nd UPS for everything else.

I was told by my IT guy at work to always use a UPS. The issue is that most surge protectors can only defend against ONE zap and then you have no idea if you are protected or not.

TL;DR = Most people don't need a UPS, but it's cheap insurance.

Yea, power factor is a thing, as I've learned.

I have UPSs on all of my systems. And I usually recommend others use them as well. However, they are certainly not required.

I need to get an oscilloscope so I can test the "power conditioning" of my UPS units. I'm curious.

I guess a surge protector is essentially just like a fuse on a fusebox?

There close to useless. Power conditioning and UPS sure. Store Bought surge protectors are a token coin in the wishing well.

If lightning hits you better have good power protection or fry.