Do I need a router? Or will a switch do the same thing?

lol I just don't like Netgear.

lol

Also, what does the channel bonding mean for a modem?

Remember how I said it was radio over a cable? It's the number of channels you can use. The better modems have more channels. Unless Comcast is selling the shit out of your area and it's all congested as hell then you should be good.

Ah, makes sense.

Actually I'm on a local ISP that is laying down fiber. They give me 60Mbs for only 40 bucks.

I want fiber! >:(
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Move here. We have awesome internet. There's one downside though, it's a fucking desert.

Apparently that modem does not have a router built in so you will need a router to use with it.

I'm not sure how you could see a configuration page on a private network range while (presumably) having a public network address when connected to it.

Yeah, I don't understand. I will say that when I was on that configuration page, I wasn't connected to the internet. I haven't yet activated the modem.

If the modem is handling the traffic can't it do whatever the fuck it wants when you request an IP?

That makes more sense. At any rate once you get a router for it you just plug the modem in to the WAN port, you won't need to put it in bridge mode or anything like that.

If you plug your computer directly in to a modem then your computer should receive a public IP address from your ISP. If you have a public IP address then you cannot connect to your modem if it is using an address in a different subnet.

Modems only modulate and de modulate. They don't have routing tables.

Consumer "routers" aren't the textbook definition of a router either. Nothing wrong with making sure all the bases are covered.

Seems like Linus foresaw this thread and made a video:

It is techquickie so it isn't very in depth but its a good explanation for 4 minutes I guess.

1 Like

#Necro

it aint fiber if it is sub 500mbps and not symmetrical.

around here… Mississippi, you can get CSpire or ATT fiber 1Gbps symmetrical for $70-$80/month no bandwith cap.

what you are getting is hybrid fiber. it is fiber to the node, cable to the home. it cheap, crap fiber. it is a way for ISPs, specifically cable ISPs to lie to Consumers and the Feds and say they have installed fiber internet. If they actually had made the switch, there wouldnt be cable. It would be straight fiber. No need for caps either.