DNS from scratch help needed (Specifically PowerDNS)

Hey there!

I’m 60/40 split between video producer and IT lady, and while I can ‘do networking’ enough to set up a couple subnets with basic routing, I’m out of my depth and need help. It’s a SOHO office but I’m doing a lot on the network and I need to set up a private domain to keep it all straight.

Here’s what we got:

• One Ubiquity erPOE (and an AP attached to the main internal network).
  • A handful of business-type hosts who just need internet and printing, a few Macs that do Adobe Premiere things
  • our server is an R720XD with Debian serving as:
    • a container host (LXD/LXC)
    • Samba fileserver
    • OVPN/Wireguard (that’s just for me, so it’s just always running a couple VPNs)
  • my workstation has LXD/LXC set up on a bridged network as well

Ideally what I need is just a clean way to organize all these various container, VPN and office subnets into easy to use domains… without a penalty to maintainability.

Can anyone point me toward some good resources for reading up on this? I’ve heard powerDNS is a good platform but I can’t find much in the way of guidance so far…

I’ve never used powerdns, I have used bind and dnsmasq (kitchen sink with DHCP/DNS/TFTP that all the home routers and modems are using these days).

What do you need out of DNS?

If it’s just some static names in a private domain, you could spinup dnsmasq in Alpine Linux with a config file containing a list of A records and CNAMEs and tell your ubiquiti router to forward requests to your dnsmasq container for your zone. Documentation for dnsmasq fits onto a single page here.

I recommend using dnsmasq on the ER-POE if you just need some basic local hostname/fqdn => IP mapping. You can add static entries in addition to the dhcp reservation names. I personally do this (also on ER hardware), and am happy with it.

Pfsense has an unbound package which would be my second recommendation (run it in a vm or something).

FreeIPA’s DNS management is nice, but kind of overkill to deploy an entire DC just for DNS.

I recommend against rolling your own. DNS is complex and is a common attack surface, so I personally like to have it running in a well-maintained appliance.

2 Likes

I’m running Unbound in my pfSense box. Deploying it in this fashion could not be more trivial.

1 Like

PowerDNS is sweet, I love it. My DNS server and my email server share a database, and I wrote a tool to manage both through a single web interface for one of my school projects (check out some code here). The PowerDNS documentation is pretty good, I don’t think I needed to resort to random blogs for forum posts for anything.

That doesn’t really help with subnetting at all though. You’ll have to study and understand that separately.

Don’t host your own DNS unless you’re in the enterprise. Use Cloudflare, it’s free.

I agree, just run dnsmasq locally.

@nate.khan you might also find https://netbox.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ of interest!

NetBox is an open source web application designed to help manage and document computer networks.

Does cloudflare do private DNS?

No, I was talking about hosting a publicly addressable domain, as other people were recommending powerdns, etc.