Diy Water cooling experiment "Project FLEXSEAL"

so to begin I have been a closet water cooling dude and well to learn a bit and have fun.
I am taking dual pass transmission coolers and attempting to make a passive cooled water cooling loop. I will be using a “thrift salvage” dell dimension e510 that I got for 7$. It has a 3.0GHz pentium ht (I will post some pictures). Once i am able to beat the stock cooler that is when I have achieved my goal or i have failed by breaking the computer who knows. lets find out.
Prjoect-flextape

16 Likes

unknown%20(1)

unknown%20(3)

That pump is absolutely garbage you’ll just end up buying another one, I know I bought one.

Very cool experiment though, I too like cludged together things

20180802_221532

1 Like

thanks for the heads up i kinda expected it to be but it was the cheapest option for this for fun, if it fails i’ll get a way better one its just to see if this works at all.

1 Like

Keep in mind that you could improve temps by going with copper instead of aluminum. Not saying that you should buy new parts, I know this is a proof of concept, but when you record your results just keep in mind that’s just one way you can improve the system.

Well finding a copper transmission dual pass cooler that’s the tough part not much the rest. the main reason I kept to aluminum was mixing metals is a bad idea, as many know.

1 Like

Yeah that only matters if they are contacting each other though.

chrome_2018-08-05_20-29-04
after realizing nothing really comes with barbs i bought 12 just in case.

@Skelterz the pump arrived it came with the 12v power adapter even though i didn’t order it! the pump works its a bit finicky but it does the job (the rad arrived too so i tested the pump)

1 Like

Nice, best of luck, looking forward to updates

testing the pump my friend had some primo fluid he let me have i don’t intend to use it for the finished build. those are some old led strips my older bro gave me.

3 Likes

everything has arrived time to do 24h leak test

4 Likes

Project Flex Tape
Prjoect-flextape
And leak testing done tomorrow I’ll begin testing on the p4

I’m probably going to build a test bench tray/back plane above this I feel my idea can grow a bit.

time to get the temps for idle i will be using stress to test the loop

2 Likes

20180808_132707
idle temps 36.2 water temp leaving the rad

1 Like

I think I ran into a Issue I didn’t expect so I didn’t think about retention on top of the cpu i should have guessed

the fix so far

7 Likes