DIY VRM Heatsink Epoxy

Hello again handsome nerds! I'm thinking about making some DIY VRM heatsinks using a dremel and some old PC sinks, but need a way to attach them. I have this PC-Fahrenheit Putty Epoxy, would it suffice?

VRMs can get seriously hot, so you need to make sure that the thermal conductivity of that putty is comparable to normal thermal paste. There aren't too many details on the page you posted but it seems like it is a heat resistant variant and not necessarily a heat conductive one so I would check to make sure that it has the right properties.

1 Like

I've done this before and used a small dot of CA glue (superglue). Thermal adhesive is really the proper way to do it, but what can I say, the CA glue is still holding to this day.

I used it on VRMs that had no heatsinks on them to begin with, so I wasn't that concerned about it being a perfect TIM.

Since posting I came across what you're saying too. As you said, it has poor heat transfer. I'm going to make use of the two screw holes labeled "nut1" and "nut2". I think the holes are for a wifi adapter or additional mobo standoffs? Here's the Mobo if anyone is curious: ASRock FM2A78M-ITX+

I might consider that, but it sounds scary...I'm thinking about applying a very thin layer of the putty and maybe that'll be enough.

Don't forget to check that whatever you put on there doesn't conduct electricity, becouse creating shorts around the VRMs will probably fry your board. Also be aware of the space you will need for your CPU cooler.

Why not just buy thermal pads for GPU memory and be safe that heat trasnfering will be happen and that you can easly take them off and put on without causing any damage? Buy slim thermal pads, if you choose to go that route.

Trying to use what I already have, because lack of money. =|

Oh well, this is a totally different story I didn't know about. Well I installed a pair of heatsink on my Raspberry using just non conductive thermal paste I had around, instead of using the included double sided tape and surprisingly enough they're really firm on and no matter how hard I shake the thing they don't move. So, if you're going to use light heatsinks you may try what I did, being careful to use non conductive thermal paste.

The best method for this is thermal tape I know you don't have loads of cash but the stuff is real cheap check out Performance PCs they got the tape and you may be surprised they have heatsink kits that come with everything for vrms, Memory, and dram