DIY smart TV on a budget, help? (Solved)

I have only used YT streaming, but I am pretty sure you can I can test when I get some free time. (Pretty sure they have some screen mirroring) (Working 12 today and tomorrow)

Please do! much appreciated.

Quick YT says yes
1 Like

Honestly I like the ones that have the remote with the power button, but they sell controller add ons if you want a cheaper one

Roku seems to be one of the strongest contenders so far but similar to chromecast the only way I can use 9anime is via stream from some thing else.

They go on sale regularly, I can send you a message next time i see a good deal if you wish

Best Buy Black Friday: Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K Stremaing Media Player w/Voice Remote for $29.99

1 Like

use a lot of rokus for this at work because they are slightly cheaper which adds up if the customer wants 20+ tvs. boss loves them i think they are about equal with chromecast trading blows.

1 Like

On the plus side your not supporting the Evil Corp

The only companies i take a major stance against are EA, Ubisoft, and Walmart, so, that’s not a factor.

What no Epic Store company on the list or Activison Blizzard

Epic is more of a chaotic neutral to me and I never cared for Blizzard to begin with.

My point was that no one competing in the entertainment sector is off limits to me, if you want to continue the OT discussion tag me in the lounge.

1 Like

I use a cheap Acer C910 Chromebook and a non-smart TV.

Remove the write-protect screw on the motherboard, slap in a bigger m.2 ssd, flash a UEFI coreboot build and install Fedora Silverblue.

I set up some scripts to auto-update silverblue in the background on a timed weekly basis, set it to auto-login with the user password, and created an autostart script for Kodi. Works almost like a professional media center!

And of course I use my phone with the open source Kore app to turn it in to an advanced remote with a touchscreen. Better than any physical remote by far.

AliExpress has a sale on Xaomi Mi box at the moment. The 3 and S are both good. 4k, Android 8, can run Netflix etc. You can load Kodi of course.

The only down side is that they don’t come with ethernet ports. You can use a USB ethernet adapter or just use the wifi.

For the money you really can’t go wrong. Even the remote is decent.

2 Likes

Nice I really like this thing! Has Chromecast built in and has web browsing built in. Sold. Job’s done

1 Like

Have you tried Craigslist

Have a solution I like.