DIY BIOS reflash on laptop

So,

Just finally got a shiny new Aorus X7 DT V6. Just from what I could test, it was love at first sight.
Notwithstanding, I was getting some weird behavior from the keyboard where sometimes keys would offset to the left by a single key increment, figured might be the "Fusion" driver Aorus utilises for their macro engine.

TL;DR A driver update did not help matters, as such decided to update the UEFI through the included utility, mind you all done on Win 7 x64, a proper install with DISM- injected drivers AND the official and purportedly supported utility from Aorus(all drivers do officially support Win 7) etc... Update completes "Successfully", reboot, aaannd BRICK.

I did the usual yes, yes, clear CMOS, check for post error codes by removing RAM etc. Nothing. Same behavior with or without hardware.

Has anyone ever had to directly flash a (SMT) laptop EEPROM because of a borked update?? I have contacted Gigabyte for an RMA( got the form and sent; awaiting authorisation). Nonetheless I am still curious if anyone has had any measure of success in a similar situation..

Cheers

never dont it but takes some special tools and depending on the bios chip can end up quiet costly. Lcky you provided a good enough image to pull off specs

here is the datasheet
http://www.zlgmcu.com/mxic/pdf/NOR_Flash_c/MX25L3206E_DS_EN.pdf

you have to remove the chip and use these devices to flash it. never done it because most of the stuff i repair that had this happen is too old to be cost effective

as always EEVBlog delivers

Yup, I looked into the datasheet beforehand and other SPI tools beforehand and could theoretically pull it off, but I was mostly wondering about the experience of others who tried similar endeavors.

Nice, I guess I was not around back in those EEVblog days pre ~600 odd.

I am gathering more data to figure out if the risk outweighs the hassle, and potential costs (Shipping/repair) of an RMA. (Might go for the RMA though given the value of the hardware).

For anyone who cares,

TL;DR I fixed it, bought a cheap SPI programmer and wrote the binary to the flash chip.

I did go for the DIY flashing.
I remembered at all I panic-posted this in the midst of attempting to find a solution to the issue discussed as a result of Wendell’s video on the Deskmini Quadro upgrade.

I did get the CH341a usb adapter, DIY’d a clip from an old header riser and after a couple of attempts and driver fiddling flashed it successfully.

Moral of the story: Don’t faff about with BIOS, and if you are, don’t let pre-loaded utilities to touch them…

4 Likes

Nice to hear!

I once bricked a Supermicro X10SRH-CF while trying to flash it from linux with afulinux.
Used a raspbery pi with the help of a friend to rescue the board.

Since then, i only update either through the bios or the EfI Shell.